question for painshill about spools.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question for painshill about spools.

hey rodger i just read you post under info on spools.i didnt read anywhere where it said they where used as personal jewelery, just spiritual or clan jewelry.but i think they where used as ear "plugs" as we call em".i wear them myself.do you think thats what they could have been used for?

call me Jay, i live in R.I.

the post:

Comment

Hi Jay
      I'm copying articles across from another section of the forum (the "Artifact Resources" section under the orange tab at the top of the forum). We have permissions to use those articles which mostly come from back issues of the CSASI quarterly journal. So, they're not my opinions.
      Having said that, I would make two points. Ear spools are a well known item, but the article is about a specific kind of "spool" with essentially the same shape that relates exclusively to the Fort Ancient People of southern Ohio, northern Kentucky, southeastern Indiana and western West Virginia. Despite having the same general shape as ear spools the article makes a case that these particular items must have served a different purpose.
      They are most usually made from fine grained or gritty sandstone and heavily carved with decorative work and ridges in the areas that would have sat inside the ear-lobe. The material, the engraving and the ridging suggest these would have been rather uncomfortable in the ear and likely would have abraded the skin. Also, what's the point of putting decorative work onto an adornment in areas where it couldn't be seen?
      As the article says, the usage of these items is still unknown, but the author runs through the various possibilities with various degrees of scepticism.
      I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

thanks rodger! i agree about how that material probably wouldnt feel to good after a little while.they are very interesting items though!if you or anyone else have any pics of actual native ear spools i'd like to see em".

Comment

Arrowheads.com - Largest Indian Artifact Website on the Internet. You can find Native American arrowheads for sale. Buy and sell Indian relics online.

There is one at the top of that page Jay.
          TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

thanks Hoss! thats a beauty! imagine finding one of them!now a' days people call them "flesh tunnels".kinda gross name actually.i'd call em hollow spools.

Comment

My son could probably wear that one in the article.
              TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

thats a big gauge! mine are 3/4 inch.

Comment

Working...
                X