Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks Jack.

Comment

• Not a religious man but if there is a god, wanna thank him. Karly again went into the hospital yesterday with a severe stomach virus, they kept her overnight this time. She lost 9 more lbs since her emergency room visit Monday. Thats alot when she only weighed 70 lbs. Home now but whipped out. Mark.

Comment

• Wow, hope shes been through the worst and gets well real soon.
        Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• Mark hope she is doing better now, kids are strong they bounce back fast. Don't get yourself run down worrying she will be fine. Joe.

Comment

• Thanks guys.

Comment

• So true.  Ironically, their similarities were the downfall.  In the aftermath of the initial epidemic along the NE coastline, brought about by a viral hitchhiker from Europe, the Native Americans interpreted it as a spiritual message that they were in disfavor and so fled their villages.  Since the Europeans were imune to the infections, they saw the death of so many natives as a devine message that they were chosen to colonize that area, and so it began.  A microscopic protozoic organism changed history for the Americas, and this was but one of several epidemics to do so.  Once the foothold was in place, man's unavoidable nature took over and so here we are. 
              But one must not view the indians as victems here for they too like in all areas grew through domination and killing of weaker cultrures to replace them for their resources.  This is and always will be "human nature".

Comment

• Lithophylic wrote:

But one must not view the indians as victems here for they too like in all areas grew through domination and killing of weaker cultrures to replace them for their resources.  This is and always will be "human nature".
                   Was reading...and I have to agree. I think it's most impoprtant...especially on an archaeological forum...to view the issue of ancient man in america from what we know from evidence; It seems many today tend to 'romanticize the noble savage' as Hiawatha 'by the shores of gitcheegoomee'...living in harmony, peacefully and totally off of the land in tune with mother earth. However, if we gather the facts from what we know from places such as Cahokia, and the various Mississippian cultures on down to Mezo and south America, we know from archaeological evidence that early American indians did not live peacefully and 'at one' with one another. There seems to have been always one kind of civilization 'controlling' or taking over another along with all of the horrid atrocities that go along with war and appeasing the various gods through sacrifices...etc.
                Early Americans lived a hard short life and if they lived off of the land it was mostly because they had to and had little other choices. Read some of Perino's writes about excavations...'Dickson Mounds' 'Cahokia' etc and the conditions and general age of skeletal remains. The small hunter gatherer groups had to always defend themselves against larger groups of adversaries. Nomadic man was always being pushed out of an area by invaders. [Hence, the often ridiculous notion that any one 'modern new age tribe' can make an honest claim to soverignity over any given area's archaeological discoveries. How could they with no written record and being nomadic?]
                Yes...Europeans absolutely took advantage of the more primitve man...unfortunately. Sad case of history.
                But, had they discovered the Americas much later, I'm wondering just what they may have encountered? Were they 'better off'? I.D.K.
                just a thought or two...
                dan

Comment

• Mark, I hope that they get to the bottom of your little girls trouble. That is grueling to say the least. Going through the same business with the good wife, and there is no more helpless feeling in my judgement. Getting Jackie hooked up with an arthritis clinic, hope we both get good news pretty quick my friend.

Comment

• Now for the thread. I do agree that the Native American's were not tree huggers and did war and conquer area's for survival. Prime living area was often fought over I am certain. But I think it is pretty safe to say that their wars were indeed for survival, and you cannot deny that they did not dessimate their environment as we did everywhere we have existed.
                       I know that the Native American's romantisize their existance as well. But aren't we all like old atheletes? The older we get the better we were? LOL-Bill

Comment

• It is ironic that indians today group all together claiming they were connected to any indian occupations discovered now when in actuality, it is likely that they would have been enemies or not connected at all.

Comment

• Thanks Bill, she feels 100% better! Was a virus in the stomach lining. Hope the best for Jackie, arthritis makes living a normal life nearly impossible. It crippled my grandpa up but with modern medicine things are better than they used to be. Mark.

Comment

• Glad she feels better Mark!! Joe.

Comment

• Glad she is well Mark
                            Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Working...
                            X