Indigenous Peoples Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indigenous Peoples Day

A.K.A. Columbus Day. Lots of changes taking place around the country concerning this holiday. While history can't be changed, it can be directed with a new, more conscionable future. The state of VA. apologized to the Negros for slavery: seems like it's time to make amends to Oct. 13th also.
    http://www.npr.org/blogs/codeswitch/...us-peoples-day
    The scene of the 1992 film "1492:Conquest of Paradise" when Columbus first sights the New World.Music from the film's soundtrack: "Hispanola" by Vangelis.La ...

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
    If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

About time isn't it? Well he was a white European!
    And like the Doors link! Had to play it while responding
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

It is easy to apologize when the vanquished have long since ceased to pose a threat. An empty gesture is best left unmade.

Comment

i wonder why colombus has gotten so much praise,his "discovery" seems like it only brought trouble and diseases to that area.plus we know the norse have been coming here since the 11th century . and Colombus landed in South America not North America anyways.and if it weren't for the native populations help europeans wouldnt have survived here at all in the beginning. Indigenous peoples day seems like a great idea.i wonder if it will catch on. hopefully it'll become a paid day off kinda holiday!
        call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

Here's some interesting facts about Columbus Day. I think it was created to give the politician's palms a chance to be greased by Italian lobbyist$.
          Pages include educational games for Columbus Day, arts and crafts, reading comprehension exercises, discussion topics, and language activities.

..fading into  Kearny, New Jersey, and 'The Road to Respect'. (warning: Profanity)

Comment

waterglass wrote:

It is easy to apologize when the vanquished have long since ceased to pose a threat. An empty gesture is best left unmade.
               “He who forgets the past is doomed to repeat it.”

Comment

i wouldnt call Native Americans vanquished by any means! theres still thousands of full blooded native americans here in North american.True,there are whole tribes that have vanished, but alot of smaller bands where absolved into their larger neighbors tribes.so the individual names may have changed over time,but the customs and DNA are usually still there.and alot of native DNA  carries on in people like me, those of us that come from mixed cultures. so a day of celebration to show the importance of those that were here first,and their ability to survive in a changing world,and their impact they've left on all american culture seems a fitting idea. Colombus day isnt written in stone,and how many holidays do we celebrate in their original meaning anyways? think about Easter,lol.
              call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                X