3rd grade presentation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3rd grade presentation

I gave a 2.5 hr presentation to my sons third grade class about the indians of maine recently. Ive .ever seen kids more intterested and eager to learn . They all left with artifacts and smiles at the end . Made me very happy to share knowledge that most if not all of thosekids would never learn about in school and maybe just maybe i spurred a new generation of artifact collectors i the process . One little girl said she shes going home and dig up her whole back yard gotta love the enthusiam of kids . I felt pretty good about guys if you all get the chance i reccomend u do the same :-) :-):-):-)

Excellent, Will. A good deed, indeed Always fun to spark that interest in children.....
    Rhode Island

Comment

That is a very honorable thing to do! I have done the same thing a few times and found that personally I prefer talking to a little older crowd. It is not that 3rd graders don't enjoy it immensely but older kids seem to grasp the whole concept of prehistory a little better. Sounds like for you this could be an annual thing LOL
      Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

I have done the same many times over the years. Giving them broken arrowheads at the end is always good so they can have a little piece to compare to. I always asked for just a thank you note from each student.  The feedback even from the little ones is immeasurable. If you do this often you can go back over those thank yous and see what sparked the greatest interest and narrow down what you talk about by age group.  Back in CT I would get calls around Thanksgiving all the time because it was usually when the curriculum was centered on early setters and how the Indians helped the pilgrims get through the harsh winters..
        TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Some will remember years down the road!
          http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

I know if someone would have came to my class and showed us artifacts I would have loved it.  Really cool that you all gave them something to take home too.  Maybe I will do the same once I become more knowledgeable on the subject.
            Montani Semper Liberi

Comment

Thats when they had it in there studys as well hoss they got to learn about the maritime archaic something that would not have happened otherwise they were especially amazed with the gouges and plummets one little boy spoke up when i was showing a plummet and before i could say a word he said my dad has one of those in his tackle box but its made of lead . They started getting a bit rowdy toward the end so i sat them down and quizzed them for prizes of scrapers pottery sherds and broken arrowheads and finished off the presentaion with the story of how gluskabe changed moose and red squirrell to make the world a better place for man . In the end all the kids thanked me a hundred times over i think it just really felt good to share with them. I guess alot of parents dont have the time for things like that this day in age but for any that do i hope you get to make a difference the children are our future help them and teach them as much and as often as you can

Comment

That's Awesome guys! Will, Hope you frame that letter man, it don't get no better than that! Those kids will remember your message and those pieces you generously gave for a lifetime!
                Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Good of you to share with them that way. I will look up that story. I used to tell the three sisters story  Pretty sure it was an Iroquois legend.  The oldest sister stood tall and straight he name was corm sister  and the next youngest sister was named squash she shielded the ground her sister corn was planted on keeping weeds away cooling and helping the ground stay moist with her broad protective leaves. Finally Sister bean would grow up through the leaves of squash and bind together sister stalks of corn reaching out for Sky Mother.
                  It is the legend it also reflects traditional garden methods for our native ancestors.  In the North Eastern states corn was not grown in rows but in mounds and lots of fish carcasses where put into the mounds to help  make the soil nitrogen rich.  The roots of the bean plants would also fix nitrogen  close to the corn plant   Corn need that High Nitrogen soil to grow. 
                  Lots of gardens fail at growing corn and think it all has to do with how much wind hits the tassels mostly they fail due to nitrogen deficiencies.
                    These three plants complimented each other  nutritionally . Corn provides carbohydrates Beans are rich in protein not to mention benefits of fixing nitrogen in the soils. Squash has loads of vitamins. It is an  awesome combination. I was going to do a mound or two last year in my yard. All plant matter left over can be composted and put back into the garden next year.  Sorry getting off track here guys LOL
                  Wildo nice job man thanks for sharing your story and the picture of the note is priceless. Keep up the good work man
                  TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

My grandmothers people the passamaquaddy share a version of that story as well the story i told i got the kids involved by saying the word alnembach wich means human beings in the abenaki languege and they thought that was the greatest thing ever ;-)

Comment

Working...
                    X