Indian Mound question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indian Mound question

I live close to an indian mound in Fitchville ohio located in Huron County any ideas what tribe built this mound and were there any settlements close to it?......Bruce

Bruce, I have a book "Indian Mounds of the Middle Ohio Valley" by Woodward and McDonald, and it does not mention any mounds in Huron County. Needless to say, I am aware of other mounds that are not listed in this book, in Hocking and Morgan Counties, so maybe a little research on google may find something on this mound in Fitchville. The book states that Adena and Ohio Hopewell were the prominent mound building cultures in the Ohio Valley, with mounds also built by Late Woodland and Mississippian groups, but those are rare. I hope this helps. Paul

Comment

Contact the nearest University Arch Dept.  They I am sure would have it mapped and identified as to what general culture.  You have to remember, prior to historic (european contact), since there was no written record, sites are referenced based on their culture as identified by the artifacts, burial styles, and community design.  Mounds are very common, but different depending on the culture during which they were built.  Read as much as you can.  There is a lot of info out there.  You can also try going to the State archives and view maps and early journals.  Good Luck and Good Hunting.  BTY I had a nephew who was a ball holder for Ohio State the last few years...

Comment

Thanks guys i'll do more research

Comment

Hey Bruce do you have permission to hunt around the mound? I mean are there any fields to look for surface artifacts? What you find in the area around the mound and the period can also tell you a great deal.=Bill

Comment

Yes Bill i do have alot of fields around the mound to search but haven't had any sucess yet....unfortunately its been so wet they've yet to plow but i have been checking to washouts    Bruce

Comment

Bruce if you got permission to hunt around mounds keep hunting. Wait till plowed -and- hard rain then hunt after sun dries ground. Joe.

Comment

Working...
              X