Language

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Language

Hello all. I was just wondering if any one knows where I can learn the Native American language ? I'm in central Louisiana . I would also like to see if any one could tell me how I can find out what my grandmothers name was. my grandfather married her back in 1893. Sad thing is when I went to the court house and looked at there marriage licenses, where her name was to be it only said Native American . Any help will be greatly appreciated. Greg Welch

:welcome: From east Tn!
    There were more than one languages spoken by Native Americans,  some of those languages have been lost to time. Here is some further info:

I wouldn't know where to go to assist you with finding your grandmother's name... wish you Good luck though.
    Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

KyFlintGuy is absolutely correct about languages, but you can probably narrow it down by geography.
      Louisiana Tribes
      The good thing is that by the 1890's there were a lot of other records kept assuming they were married long enough to generate a paper trail.  Your local library might have a genealogy "helper" who can get you started.  School records for your dad (or aunts -and- uncles) might have information about your grandparents, church records (baptism, marriage, etc.), census records, property records if you know the house they lived in, etc.  If you know where they are buried that can also be a great start for DOB -and- DOD, Full Names, family members.  Ancestry.com is also a decent site if you have some information.
      You might also want to see if the marriage licence is the original one simply because the name Native American didn't come in to use until the 1950's or 60's.  I'm not sure what terms were used in Louisiana in the 1890's, but they probably didn't worry much about political correctness.  Indian was the term used on the federal census a couple of times, and non-white was used other times, more recently I believe it just says American Indian -and- Alaskan Native.
      Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

Working...
      X