Native American fishing nets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Native American fishing nets?

I have seen pictures of net sinkers on the internet and was wondering how they made nets and what material did they use. I have also seen bone fish hooks, what did they use for line?

Native Americans could make cordage from plant fibers, and animal sinew. Others like Onewiththewild on this forum can elaborate more about techniques etc. But I've got some elk sinew on its way to my house to do some projects with. So hopefully I will understand how to use these materials more with some trial and error. You can also look see the tutorials on you tube of how these resources are harvested and utilized.

Also a lot of good info on this web site in the information center. I would recommend every new member spend some time just.looking through some of the threads there. If you can think of a question, odds are you can find the answer there, I love it!

Here's a recent thread to look thru that shows a hook and sinker line setup.

http://forums.arrowheads.com/forum/o...rimitive-stuff

Fishing Weirs Connecticut's First Fishermen http://www.iaismuseum.org/research-a...shing-camp.pdf (http://www.iaismuseum.org/research-and-collections/preserve
    Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Thanks flintguy I'll have to check that out. I'd be interested to know how u make out with your project, keep us posted.

Comment

sinew wouldnt have been used to make nets, since it would have taken many small sections to braid together, and the magic of sinew is its natural glue,which keeps it all together tight, submersion in water would cause it to all fall apart. in fact from what ive read one of the reasons N.A. wore quivers was to protect the sinew on their arrows and when it rained they removed and stored away their bowstrings.even if they used intestine as a bowstring if it got wet it would lose its strength. i think things like plant fibers where probably used to make nets the most, tree's like cedar and basswood provide the right material to make strong water resistant  rope and line.  i can even see animal hide possibly being used. you can cut a whole hide into one big long cord if you wanted by cutting a small strip and following the outline of the hide in a clockwise like fashion.i can imagine hide strips or braided and tanned intestine being used as fishing line possibly too.
        call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

another thing you should know is not all grooved weights went to nets, some of them (actually probably alot more than we think) were used to weigh down basket traps. the natives would weave together baskets like this one

im sure you've seen them before, the thing most people dont realize is they were most likely weighted down with small ropes and grooved stones. traps like these probably accounted for alot more food than we think they did, fresh and salt water, think of a modern lobster or crab trap, that trap is out there working for you 24 hrs. a day without you there to scare things. and its alot easier to make 5 of these than it is one good rope net. now your not gonna catch a whopper tuna in one but you can catch all kinds of small fish, shellfish (crab,lobster, crayfish,snails,e.t.c. ) frogs, turtles..whatever crawls in!  :laugh:  i think the big nets we think of were men's tools and a group activity for the most part,were as something like these baskets can just be thrown out and left and checked more or less at their leisure by anyone.
          call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

Great info, thanks OnewiththewilD

Comment

OnewiththewilD wrote:

sinew wouldnt have been used to make nets, since it would have taken many small sections to braid together, and the magic of sinew is its natural glue,which keeps it all together tight, submersion in water would cause it to all fall apart. in fact from what ive read one of the reasons N.A. wore quivers was to protect the sinew on their arrows and when it rained they removed and stored away their bowstrings.even if they used intestine as a bowstring if it got wet it would lose its strength. i think things like plant fibers where probably used to make nets the most, tree's like cedar and basswood provide the right material to make strong water resistant  rope and line.  i can even see animal hide possibly being used. you can cut a whole hide into one big long cord if you wanted by cutting a small strip and following the outline of the hide in a clockwise like fashion.i can imagine hide strips or braided and tanned intestine being used as fishing line possibly too.
                Yes, sinew would be very unsuitable for making fishing lines or nets for the very reason you say.
              There are lots of wild grasses which provided Native Americans with fibrous material suitable for converting to twine and cordage for fishing lines and nets, as well as various fibrous tree barks. A particular favourite was Pawpaw (Asimina triloba) inner bark, which was used by Native Americans across the Midwest (and also by early settlers).
              Spruce (Picea spp.) root fibres were woven into seine nets by Native Americans along the Columbia River. Bitter Cherry (Prunus emarginata) bark was used to make fishing lines by the Clallam of Western Washington. Willow (Salix spp.) outer bark was used to make dip nets by the Tanana in Alaska; and to make fishing lines and reef nets by the Kwakiutl of British Columbia. Bull Kelp (Nereocystis luetkeana) stalks were partially dried and rubbed with oil until saturated to make fishing lines by the Nitinaht on Vancouver Island. California Nettle (Urtica dioica) fibres were twisted to make fishing lines for “jigging” by the Oweekeno of British Columbia. Western Red Cedar (Thuja plicata) inner bark was stripped, beaten and twisted into twine for fishing lines by the Haisla and Hanaksiala of British Columbia and by the Salish of Vancouver Island.
              I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Fascinating info, for some reason I just assumed that fishing nets -and- line was a more modern technology. Learning lots of great stuff here!

Comment

Working...
                X