The Guided Hike w/ the Chumash Museum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Guided Hike w/ the Chumash Museum

Saturday, March 28th. was the day I had scheduled the Guided Hike through the Chumash Indian Museum, located west of me in Thousand Oaks. the plan was to have 10 folks go and divy up the $100 cost for the hike. only 4 of us made it, so Me -and- my cousin Christine covered the difference - no big deal because you'll see it was well worth the extra bucks...
    WE arrived before 10 Am and meet our guide, Gray Wolf, a full blooded Apache, not a Chumash, but that's o.k... Our group consisted of my cousin Christine (she's gone with me on The Coso Petroglyph hike), my friend Christina (she's the driving force behind the Santa Susana Field labs being made into a National Monument) And Her husband Michael. we headed up the canyon behind the Museum , which is located on the former Lang Ranch property in the Simi Hills.
    first place we came to is a replica of a typical Chumash Village, there are 5 'Aps there, an 'Ap is the Chumash house made from Bull rushes and willow branches. here's one of them..

as we proceeded up the Canyon, Gray Wolf would point out various plants and describe how the Chumash utilized them. it was helpful for Me as i"ve read a good deal about them and now I can recognize them in the field.
    Gray Wolf soon pointed out various small boulders with numerous cupulets peeked into the surfaces. He explained that such a stone is always found below a ceremonial cave. You were to leave offerings in the cupulets before climbing up to the cave.
    Here's one of the cupulet stones..

and here's it's associated Ceremonial cave up the ridge

in this photo you see the Cupulet rock in the foreground and it's Cave behind it..

One cave that I wish to return to and see is called "Rattlesnake Cave" as there are Rattlesnake Pictographs inside it, Gray Wolf told me he would take me there . here is that cave, see it just below the top of the ridge???

we got to a point up the canyon, where Gray Wolf took us through a locked gate, we went down a slope and came to the first Pictograph. it is the locally well known SWORDFISH. He is found on an upright boulder on a concave surface of the boulder...

I've read about Swordfish numerous times and seen a number of photographs of him, but finally meeting him was great, Very cool indeed........
    Cont'd......
    \"..Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride..\" ~~ Hunter S. Thompson

Cont'd....
    on the opposite side of the canyon from Swordfish is the "Birthing Cave".. you have to go across a bridge and climb some wooden stairs to reach it..

Inside the cave is a small stone alter with a few Cupulets, there is a sizable flat slab, that was were the woman, who was about to give birth laid down, off to the side of the resting slab is a single bedrock mortar. here is a beautiful picture taken by Christina showing, my cousin Christine, Michael and myself (i have the ball cap on) seating and listening to Gray Wolf tell about the Birthing Ritual . He is setting on the edge of the alter.

The resting slab is to my left and in the foreground You see the bedrock mortar
    Inside the Birthing Cave there are a few Pictographs, but most them have been destroyed by Water seeping in, however one Pictograph remains in very good shape, it's the WATERSTRIDER..

We sat inside the Birthing cave for 45 minutes or more as Gray Wolf told us about Chumash Birthing ceremonies. We also talked about Indian Theme Films, as it turns out Gray Wolf has acted in numerous movies and Television shows -and- Documentaries.. always playing an Indian....
    we finally exited the Cave and headed back down the Canyon . we noticed how warm it had gotten as the day progressed, we had stayed cool and comfortable inside the Birthing Cave...

It was a Wonderful day and a Great Hike, we all enjoyed it very much, Gray Wolf added so much to our day with his insight and love of the Chumash people. i am already planning another hike in November or December.. after it cools down...
    \"..Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride..\" ~~ Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Thank You! Fly, That"s fantastic! I am Glad I got to take a peek of your journey.  I wish I could have  been the water spider on the wall listening in.
      Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Great Photo's, Thank's!
        http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Working...
        X