Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OnewiththewilD commented
    Today, 08:20 AM
    why not? plus that way you could still walk in but it would still give you full coverage, its just a guess really, i'd have too see it in person myself. i dont know if you could even hunt out there, its just a guess. maybe it could be neighborhood kids moving the rocks too though.

Well, I really think you needed to have seen it change over time. It wasn't a single event. I know for a fact kids played in it. And really, no reason to turn a blind into a spiral that causes researchers to think it's a cosmological symbol. It's just superfluous and of no use to the blind. It looked like a ceremonial entranceway. To a hunting blind?? Again, it may have been used as one, and then rebuilt further by children. It is also possible certain researchers "improved" it. I visited the site with the state archaeologist and a Doug Harris of the Narragansett. Harris was not convinced that the spiral arm was not original. My photo does not remove that possibility, but the negative suggests my memory pre rebuild is correct, there was no spiral extension. I think it is at least reasonable to ask why hunters would build a purposeless entranceway that included very heavy rocks and added nothing to the blind. I guess if they decided they were artists as well as hunters, they might.

Photo from 1978 archaeolgical survey looking east toward NE bastion. To show condition of wall. Amazing to still see Native stone built constructions.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_3682.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	180011

Anecdotal and archaeological info:

http://www.preservation.ri.gov/pdfs_...ueens-fort.pdf
    Last edited by CMD; 10-28-2015, 04:57 PM.
    Rhode Island

Comment

No, you can't hunt there as far as I know. The RI Historical Society would never permit it. Houses awfully close as well, though not sure what law says about that. But no way would the RIHS allow such activity on this important historical resource anyway. They own the property, it's essentially unprotected, they would not encourage anything of the sort. Would someone break the law, build a blind, and hunt? Naturally. This structure, the SW bastion, has been worked on by quite a few, judging from the changes. Huge difference between my 1979 photo, after initial rebuild, and how well constructed it was when Mavor and Dix photographed it for their 1989 book. I have not been there now since 2006. If hunters created a spiral structure by adding a walkway into it, they played directly into the notion that the entire site had cosmological significance. Too funny if that were the case......

I have 2 images from 1978 showing the SW bastion. In this image, you can see the "entrance". Matches the 78 archaeological plan, does not match Mavor and Dix's 1989 drawing. Which proves nothing. I do understand the point of sealing off the blind on all sides, but if so they extended the arm well beyond that point. Which would be a lot of extra work for nothing but artistic merit...

I think it's also possible, because of the shape, that the final rebuild involved someone actually interested in the site as a ceremonial site. Be it New Age, or actually recreating what was felt was true to the original. The application for federal recognition mentions the number of bastions on maps varying up to as many as 4 at times. With a hermit living on site as well in the 19th century, the site is not completely undisturbed to begin with. But the walls themselves seem undisturbed for a long time...
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Queen's Fort 13.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	180009
      Last edited by CMD; 10-28-2015, 04:25 PM.
      Rhode Island

Comment

Working...
      X