Did they use stone plates?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did they use stone plates?

I was wondering if the indians used stone plates to eat on and if they did what did the plates look like? I have found something today square to rectangular in shape might be natural but not sure. I found one other about 50ft from the same spot a while ago but flat and round and that one was pecked.

Glenn, sounds like an interesting find. Check the inside to see if it's smooth, the reason being is that I don't think they would eat off of something that was coarse, but I really don't know what the ate off of, I think later cultures ate from pottery plates.
    Erik B)

Comment

The one I found today was smooth and tan in color. Not sure if it is pottery though. The other is like stone flat and pecked both flat.

Comment

The Native Americans made offerings of food, tobacco, and other perishable items to the spirits. These offerings were placed in specially made dishes, bags, and baskets. Did the Native American also use more permanent ritual features for placing these offerings in? The evidence suggests they did have such permanent features. Rockshelters, natural niches and cavities in the bedrock served this purpose. At stone structures, various types of niches and stone plates were used.

Comment

Working...
        X