Pottery Plates?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pottery Plates?

I wanted to know if anyone knows if the indians ate off of stone plates? Or if they just made pottery plates? Or did they use plates at all? I have seen where they had bowls but what about plates. If they used them Id like to see some pics if anyone have some to show.

Yes, they made platters and plates of soapstone, as well as bowls, cups, ladles, etc.
    The bottom soapstone platter in this illustration is about 12" in diameter. These are from southern New England and are late/transitional archaic.
    Charlie
    Rhode Island

Comment

Charlie, do you have much in the way of soapstone artifacts? Rare? Such a beautiful material, would be nice to find something made of soapstone, but fat chance of that around here.
      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Greg, board has been down for me and many others.  First chance to answer you and I'm not wasting time :laugh: Yes, soapstone is very common at our RI sites.  We have partial bowls, many pipe forms, lots of sherds.  One of the biggest quarries in the region is only a few miles from most of our sites.
        Charlie
        Rhode Island

Comment

Working...
        X