No announcement yet.

How South Dakota lakes got their names.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How South Dakota lakes got their names.

I live right near most of these lakes. This is an interesting short read on how they got their names. When you read about sqaw hill, I have been on top of it. I need to get up there a find some artifacts.
    Many glacial lakes in northeastern South Dakota are named for Indian legends passed down through generations via oral history.
    South Dakota

Great post Gary. I always enjoyed touring the west and the many stories we encountered along the way. I always looked at legends as part true and part story. Either way - there's history embedded. Thanks for sharing it.
    Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Thanks for posting Gary. I pass Enemy Swim lake every year on my way to Aberdeen, and have always wondered about the name.
      N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

There is a variation to that legend I have heard, that I thought was going to be in this article. This hill near me, which used to be called "squaw hill", Recently changed, but anyway, there was a group of Indian wives on top of this hill killed by another tribe. When the warriors got back, they tracked them to this lake, and they swam across to get away, thus getting the name. Enemy Swim.
        South Dakota

Comment

I think you can google that legend.
          South Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by Sugaree View Post
            Thanks for posting Gary. I pass Enemy Swim lake every year on my way to Aberdeen, and have always wondered about the name.
            Here is an article from the Chicago tribune about this hill, and how it got its name. It has been tied to Enemy swim in other articles.
            South Dakota

Comment

always forget to add the link
              South Dakota

Comment

• Sugaree
                Sugaree commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks for the link. I try and see something new each year in SD. Love the Mitchell prehistoric Indian village. Did fort Sissiton and blood run last year. Fascinated by SD history thanks again.
            Working...
            X