X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

East Texas/Western Lousiana

Comment

Originally posted by FlashCache View Post
      I was wondering if any of you have techniques for actually hunting IN THE Swamp. Under the muck and brackish water. I think there must be sine amazing artifacts down there. What do you all think?
      We have screened river bottom, but only in sandy/gravel underwater surfaces. In mud, immediately adjacent to a sandy bottom, we only waste our time. Cannot screen mud, and never brought anything up.

If the natives made use of marsh and swamp, and they most certainly did, white settlers had few uses for such environments. It was recently discovered that one swamp in RI contained the undisturned remains of a 1676 battle of King Philip's War. An undisturbed battlefield from the 17th century is a rare prize, and described in this old thread:

Not sure how productive such an undertaking would be in most cases....

Rhode Island

Comment

I sure wouldn’t want to live near one, but don’t mind prowling around them in the day time.
        South Dakota

Comment

Wetlands are some of the most productive areas for food & water; once you get used to the flies they are heaven. Like Tom & G10+ mentioned, lots of Florida was a perfect swamp in ancient times. I lived near Ft Lauderdale and all of the suburbs inland are drained swamps with big shell mounds and middens, if you didn't mind snails, fish and swamp cabbage an acre of swamp could produce more food than you could eat. In paleo times there is quite a bit of evidence that Mammoths and Mastodons liked swamps, as did moose and other potential big game further north.

Getting used to the bugs is something interesting. The part that itches is a minor allergic reaction to the bite. If you spend time where there are serious mosquitoes (Everglades, Fl Keys, Alaska, Northern Canada, other parts of the tropics) you'll see locals with little to no allergic reaction to the bite: no bump, no itching. Since non-allergic people don't realize they are getting drained, they assume that they are immune to the bite and that mosquitoes only bite some people. (Mosquitoes might prefer some people based on smells, if there is only one person there they'll plug their noses and go for blood any way they can get it.)

Some of the biting flies (deer flies, green heads, etc.) cause a different wound or sting, those just plain hurt.
          Last edited by clovisoid; 01-23-2020, 07:31 AM.
          Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

Bought 2 inflatable black balls that I was instructed to smear with this extremely sticky 💩. The black color was supposed to attract the green heads & the sticky stuff would trap them.
            Yeah right... first, I got the sticky 💩 all over my hands & after a dozen washings with various detergents & solvents, finally resorted to olive oil to break it down. Second, the only things the balls attracted were dust, seedlings & gnats. The green heads just buzzed on by it & laughed. If I had the money I would put a screen house over the pool!
            Child of the tides

Comment

Working...
            X