Some interesting petroglyphs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some interesting petroglyphs

I noticed a section on petroglyphs in the information section, we have some interesting ones up here not very far away from where I live called the Peterborough petroglyphs that I'm not sure weather many of you know about them so I thought I would post some pictures of them that I borrowed from the internet. I found this info link in the info center here but it doesn't have any pics. http://www.bradshawfoundation.com/ca...yphs/index.php
    Cameras are not allowed there but here are some pics that can be found on the internet.

Would this be appropriate to add to the info center?

I can't see the pics.

Comment

• rock ON.
      rock ON. commented
      Editing a comment
      I can see them on mine but i tried a different computer and cant so I'll try to figure out what went wrong and edit it

• rock ON.
      rock ON. commented
      Editing a comment
      Can you see them below now Coach?

Click image for larger version

Name:	petroglyphs_park_woodview_ontario.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	241.6 KB
ID:	245381Click image for larger version

Name:	5ca9ea58bc4119e7976208d7e3d202bb.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	245382

Name:	33cb89bb2aefe33f39aaedc26babd0ad.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	405.7 KB
ID:	245383Click image for larger version

Name:	196b11c4b647fc288211a610e7c920f6.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	245384

Name:	258ba6a36d12b1e4d66dc7b95ab9ac96.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	245385Click image for larger version

Name:	3701322ee218ac0efd34afa349383d80.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	245386
    Did that work?

Comment

I can see em in the 2nd post. Those are awesome. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Those are well preserved. Thanks.
        Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Oh cool! Thanks for the uploads since Ive never seen petroglyphs in person. Hard to paint sand.
          Child of the tides

Comment

• rock ON.
            rock ON. commented
            Editing a comment
            These are not painted they are pecked into the stone fairly deep, pictographs are painted

That is one of the most famous petroglyph sites in NA, if not the world. Just a wonderful petroglyph site. Over the years, people have been struck by the similarity of boat images at Peterborough and at Scandinavian rock art sites. They have even used that similarity to argue Peterborough was actually created by Old World peoples. You can see boat images in the first and fourth photo reproduced above. One that is not seen is the so-called solar boat at Peterborough. It's the first image seen below. In the second image, the Peterborough solar boat compared to a similar boat from Swedish rock art. The third image shows other boat images from Swedish rock art. You can google a comparison of Peterborough and Svandinavian rock art. I'm not arguing in favor, simply pointing out that the comparison has been made and engendered debates you can research online.
          i love the solar man image at Peterborough and seen above.

Solar boat from Peterborough, Solar boat compared to Swedish boat image, and finally, other Swedish boat images.....

Rhode Island

Comment

There sure are strong similarities there, sure makes you wonder about the crossing the atlantic theories about how ancient people got here.Here is another link talking about the mystery of this site.
            The Peterborough Petroglyphs are the largest collection of ancient rock carvings (petroglyphs) in all of North America, made up of over 900 images carved into crystalline limestone located near Peterb

Comment

Yeah, it's probably my favorite petroglyph site. Although I've never visited in person. Here's a very good page of images from the site:

Rhode Island

Comment

• rock ON.
                rock ON. commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks CMD that's a great link I hadn't found that one yet.

Awesome thread. I would sure like to visit this site
              South Dakota

Comment

• rock ON.
                rock ON. commented
                Editing a comment
                Its only a 45 minute drive from where I live and I've never been yet, due to the fact that I work all summer and its closed in my off season but I'm going to make it a point to take a day off this summer to take the family to see it.
            Working...
            X