Massasoit Reburied

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Massasoit Reburied

In ceremony today at his original burial site in Warren, RI.

Rhode Island

I hope that his repatriation is in a secure place. This pipe that the plan to leave with him will be a very tempting target. Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture4.PNG
Views:	111
Size:	195.1 KB
ID:	249901
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

Well, bold indeed would be any thieves attempting to loot in Burr's Hill Park, Warren. Burr's Hill is a 17th Wampanoag burial ground located near Sowams, which was the chief village of Massasoit's band, the Pokanoket branch of the Wampanoag confederacy. Warren, and the other two towns that comprise Bristol Co., RI was originally a part of Plymouth Colony. The three towns were transferred to RI from Ma in the 19th century. Yesterday's ceremony was not without controversy as the Pokanoket branch, not recognized by the Federal government, were quite upset, as described in this report from the scene yesterday.

http://turnto10.com/news/local/contr...rican-ceremony

The site is quite open and public. I just would not expect looting. The pipe shown was made with steel tools, and dates from the first half of the 17th century.
      Rhode Island

Comment

• 2ndoldman
        2ndoldman commented
        Editing a comment
        No matter who, what, where or when there always seems to be someone shouting out that they deserve recognition.
        Thanks for the story and the followup link.

• CMD
        CMD commented
        Editing a comment
        Two Wampanoag branches received federal recognition as tribes. The Pokanoket failed in their effort to receive federal status as a tribe. Hence their bitterness, although I certainly can't speak for them in saying that, it just seems likely it stems from those failed efforts in part I should imagine.
    Working...
    X