Point hunting magazine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Point hunting magazine?

so for some of you who metal detect, and I know there are s select few who love to metal detect very much (not mentioning anyone lol) 👀You lll know that there is a magazine for treasure hunting, or multiple. For example "Treasures" has there ever been a publication for arrowhead hunters? Or artifact hunting? I feel like it would be a cool read. Obviously the writers couldn't be blowing up spots, because sadly most of our NA friends aren't making any more points for us to find, although the board has some hardcore phenomenal knappers on here. If anyone knows of anything let me know! I guess in this case the works of typologists and archaeological societies and studies are the publications themselves? I love to read hunting and fishing magazines, so naturally point hunting reading will be no different for me if I can find the stuff!
    Can’t find em sitting on the couch; unless it’s in a field

South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

The magazine in the thread above and this one is good magazines. They are published quarterly and comes with a membership. Each membership is around $25. but well worth the cost and you can submit articles to be published about artifacts you found. Each magazine has a website where you subscribe. There was an arrowhead magazine like you described but I don't think it is published anymore. Hope this helps.
      South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

• 2ndoldman
        2ndoldman commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for both of those suggestions Johnny.

Thank you!! Very cool I will certainly check it out

Comment

Point taken pointhead.
        Bruce
        In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

• Pointhead
          Pointhead commented
          Editing a comment
          My dad loves to metal detect as well! I have many great memories of metal detecting with him! Best find was an 1831 dime when I was 10 years old in my backyard messing around with a RadioShack detector. My dad who uses his whites, was stunned lol.

• 2ndoldman
          2ndoldman commented
          Editing a comment
          Fantastic. Those capped bust dimes are very hard to find.

Well, I enjoyed Indian Artifact Magazine. Unfortunately, the publisher, Gary Fogelman of Pa., retired in 2015, and was unable to find a buyer to continue publication. Some will say it was a bit disorganized at times, but it always had interesting stories, by collectors and for collectors. I liked the stories of people's hunts/personal finds. And Gary kept up with the latest news from Archaeology and issues affecting our hobby. I had a couple of articles published myself, and a close friend from Ma published many neat stories. You can still order back issues. The large unfinished fluted point seen on this Facebook page is the largest fluted point known from New England, which Gary uncovered at the second of Mike Gramly's digs at the Sugarloaf site in Ma just a few years ago.

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

It was a quarterly publication and I always looked forward to finding it in my mailbox.

You can see the Sugarloaf fluted point in the last 2 photos here. Sorry they are midget size, the latest site update did that to all my old photos...

Rhode Island

Comment

• JoshinMO
          JoshinMO commented
          Editing a comment
          Man, that's a Beast!

That's exactly what I was looking for! Pretty incredible stuff, sad to hear that the magazine is out of production. That fluted point is the find of a lifetime

Comment

Working...
        X