bad experience with tribal member

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bad experience with tribal member

So I decided to share a few of my findings with a local ceremonial leader other day. He actually became quite hostile. I explained that I have quite a bit of property in the area that was private. He then proceeded to tell me that the points belonged to his ancestors so they were rightfully his because my tribe want affiliated with the area. He threatened to have his tribe reclaim my land because he worked diligently with their legal department Anyone ever deal with this and what did you do?

You say ceremonial leader? Are you both of the same tribe? Could be just jealous or grumpy. Too bad he feels the need to be that way.
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Id like to see the items you showed him. Seems like a rude thing to do to someone allowing you to see there finds. Agpra laws only extend to items that are associated with burials or ceremonial purposes. That doesn't usually mean arrowheads found legally on private lands... I wouldn't worry unless you have dug into graves or found something known to be ceremonally used....
      Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Normally I would keep away from something like this with a 10 foot poll. So, that's probably best if we stay out of that.
        http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

No we aren't from the same tribe. Not even close. They weren't burial items of any kind. They were field points. I posted them on here a few days ago. There are no burial sites of any kind to the best of knowledge on my property. I just think he has no authority and is jealous. I asked him if he would like me to leave arrowheads lay and get crushed and never to be appreciated again and he had no response other than the fact that I'm now going to be cursed. He said another lady just mysteriously died after finding artifacts and negated to tell anyone. Thought maybe that was a death threat lol. Well if anything comes of it I'll keep you guys posted. Guess I will be enjoying them to myself from now on
          Last edited by Wanapasaki; 08-10-2017, 08:25 AM.

Comment

Too bad you can't share them with someone else without trouble. Where I live, there are a lot of Lakota Sioux, and I have been tempted to show them some of my finds, since I know several very well, but have always refrained, because I just didn't know how they would react. I'm sure some would enjoy seeing them. I'm sure there are some that would tell me where to look, but maybe a few would get angry. Sorry you're having this problem.
            South Dakota

Comment

Thanks Gary, I really thought the guy would appreciate that I have respect and appreciation for links to the past. Like I said, I will keep it to myself from now on. I won't be inviting those guys to hunt with me in the future as well. I'm sure he will appreciate the fact that someday my findings, if not appreciated by my children, will be rendered to the local museums around here. Until then, I'll continue on with the property and share what I find on here. Thanks for your insight.

Comment

• Scorpion68
                Scorpion68 commented
                Editing a comment
                I was starting to worry about not seeing anymore of your finds on here. Whew! Thanks for including us in your future finds.

Sorry Wanapasaki, and Everyone for what I said. It was actually out of Respect though. Good Luck with The Issue though and I enjoy seeing what You found.
              http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

I understand what you meant Josh, thanks and I'm glad you enjoy the findings!

Comment

Look at this from a modern perspective. Arrowheads are like spent shell casings. Yes, someone (man or woman) worked hard knapping them with no thought to them one day being prized by someone else. Can you imagine future generations swooning over spent cartridges & shell casings? Absolutely not, but it may happen & it seems laughable to us in the present.
                  As the others have said, unless you have found a NA burial site or found an item if sacred significance, chalk it up to temperament on his part.
                  Child of the tides

Comment

• Jethro355
                    Jethro355 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I think You are more right than you may know. Where my Grandfather's farm was, there was a small skirmish of the civil war that took place, so naturally there are projectiles found, ranging from Minnet balls to cannon shot, and they are highly prized....and that was barely 150 years past. Imagine another 1,000 or 5,000 years. 😳

Very well said Haven. I absolutely agree with you and not just for my personal benefit. I am a hunter myself, and to be honest, if someone finds my stuff years down the road and treasures it, I would be absolutely tickled. Thanks for your insight!

Comment

Wanapasaki, sorry you have to experience this .
                    Here you are being thoughtful and sharing the past
                    as well as preserving it .
                    You know there are so many people that take
                    some situations to the next level . It's private property , no burial sites or community parks .
                    ypy

Comment

Yeah, well we found human bone at a site near a lake being developed. A "Spiritual Leader" was brought in by the developers when the story broke. 5 gallon buckets of human bone and some artifacts where found before the dug the pools and driveways.... They all went to this Leader who everyone was sure was going to bring them out to like Idaho or some f ing place for proper burial etc.... Years later I met this guy at a sweat lodge and he gave me a small artifact that he said was from that emergency dig. I sweet little scraper. Then while talking and eventually seeing.....the buckets of bones were in his durn garage. Never made it out to South Dakota or wherever.....
                      Jeez.
                      Professor Shellman
                      Tampa Bay

Comment

As James and Deb have pointed out the same thing is happening in the metal detecting world.
                        No matter what you find someone is going to be jealous and complain.
                        Bruce
                        In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

Working...
                        X