Tuzigoot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tuzigoot

If you have been there, skip this as there is nothing new. However, if you have never been there, this is an interesting place.

We were in North West Arizona last week. We have been to Montezuma's Castle and Fort Verde but had never gone to Tuzigoot before. Tuzigoot is Apache for "crooked water". It stands on a ridge above the Verde River Flood Path. It was inhabited around 600 to 900 years ago. Excavation started in 1933. The first 3 pictures aren't very good because I took pictures of posters that had been made from old pictures. The first picture show the mound before excavation and nobody yet realized what was there.

They found 110 pueblo rooms. Somebody carried a lot of rocks. I referred to the highest as a viewing stand because that seems to be exactly what it is. The one doorway that I saw went into a room below the viewing area. Of course it would be a great place to hunt artifacts and of course you are not permitted to leave the paths.

Comment

Again, the pictures aren't great because I was taking pictures through the glass of display cases but you can see that the craftsmanship is spectacular.

Comment

I have been there, back in 1986. I enjoyed it, and the other Sinagua Indian ruins in that part of Az., such as Montezuma's Castle.

https://www.nps.gov/nr/travel/cultur..._Monument.html

A friend of mine gave me this preserved ear of corn, which is Sinagua. Her son found it not far from the monument. In a protected environment, I have to believe. Amazing what can be preserved in that dry climate. The ears of corn grown by all the Ancestral Puebloans were much smaller then our modern varieties of corn...

I love the view you get from the ruins, and the beautiful farmland spread out before you...
        Rhode Island

Comment

Have done a lot of travel in Arizona but have never visited this site, thanks.
          Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• dr socling
            dr socling commented
            Editing a comment
            It is a great place to visit and Sedona is one of the most beautiful places on earth. My wife and I plan to spend a few days in the area and look at everything again closely. It is breath taking!

My dad and I stopped there on our way from the Grand Canyon to Phoenix, Den. It's a fascinating spot. Thanks for bringing back that memory
          South Dakota

Comment

• dr socling
            dr socling commented
            Editing a comment
            My pleasure. Hope you can visit again.

Fantastic!
          Professor Shellman
          Tampa Bay

Comment

Working...
          X