X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cherokee or........ ???????

http://nativeamericanpride.co/here-i...hat-you-think/
    Professor Shellman

Thanks Tom, Good example of how politics is often accepted as science. Modern DNA studies are very interesting. I don't have any Native American DNA but I do have some Neandertal DNA.
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Wow, fascinating hypotheses. Thanks for the link.
      Child of the tides

Comment

Thanks for showing! Living in WNC this fascinates me, it is amazing how many different NC homeland tribal maps I have seen. It is quite controversial who lived in WNC previously and where they came from or have they always been here. One thing that is not well known is the link between Pisgah and Qualla pottery are they related or not. Hoss did post a good video about the link previously titled Secrets of The Nolichucky.

Comment

Hi Tom. Thanks for posting this interesting link. I've been aware of the "Cherokee controversy" for a good while now. Most of the reading I've done in the past from what I consider at least mostly reliable sources have considered the Cherokee as "johnny come latelys" to the Southeast USA having arrived there from other areas either in historical times or not too long before. The DNA testing that indicates most eastern USA Indians are not genetically pure is not surprising at all considering that there has been 500 years of mixing of Native Americans and Europeans aside from any possible links to people from the Middle East. The politics of this question only adds difficulty for people who wish to seek the truth. One should be careful of what is asked of people who have a political axe to grind. And that includes Native Americans just as much as it does any other group.

Comment

Way before Cherokees where in GA there was a specific connection between Tampa Bay to SE GA, culture-wise. Pottery same, points same. Timucuan. Their territory covered a large part of FL
            Professor Shellman

Comment

What a cluster F of miss information and deception. I wonder if they will ever come to a proper consensus on the historical territory and ancestry.
              Bruce
              In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

Originally posted by 2ndoldman View Post
                What a cluster F of miss information and deception. I wonder if they will ever come to a proper consensus on the historical territory and ancestry.
                The sad thing its much the same with all the tribes when all you have is oral history.

Comment

• sailorjoe
                  sailorjoe commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Amen to that, Sothfork. Some of the Siouxan plains tribes are notable examples. They were "johnny come latelys" to the western plains having been driven there from the east by Chippewa neighbors to the east of them who acquired firearms from the French before the Sioux. The native Americans at the time of European arrival were in almost constant warfare with neighboring tribal groups. Alliances were formed and then dissolved just as soon as one group got an advantage over the other.

Here's a people who have long posed an interesting mystery as to their origins...

https://www.economist.com/news/unite...d-history-race

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...an-people.html

Comment

Both interesting reads Charlie, thanks.
                  Surprised no wandering lost tribe of Jews in the bloodline too.

Comment

I've always wondered which came first or rather who came first. I came across so many stories about who was predecessor to whom that I gave up. Now ya got everyone submitting their DNA to Ancestry to find out what their roots are. I just follow my own genealogy research and make sure that I can document everything. I enjoyed reading this thread but came away even more confused. Thanks Tom and Charlie for some thought provoking info. I've decided I don't have any DNA.
                    NE Central Tenn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

• Jethro355
                      Jethro355 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      DNA=Do Not Ask!

LOL Scorp/Jethro. I agree. I'm more confused, have no DNA and Do Not Ask!
                    Professor Shellman

Comment

Working...
                    X