Class Trip to Weedon Island Preserve Cultural Center

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Class Trip to Weedon Island Preserve Cultural Center

"Weedon/Weeden" Island is pottery, culture, region, time period of parts of Florida and into S. GA/AL somewhat... Pottery is diagnostic...

I went to a short lecture and demonstration of "Middens and Mounds" at the Weedon Island type site/County Park in Pinellas Co, FL
    Not all that much in the museum, mostly nice reproductions. One special exhibit is an almost 40 foot canoe found locally. Took pics, hope they come out OK.
    Back in the Day, before even MY day, people dug out there at Weedon Island wherever and whenever. 30 foot high mounds, middens, burial mounds, huge complex that the Weedon Island Culture was named after. Dr. Weedon... the plunderer. Now a lot of the best spots are owned by a power company that doesn't allow research holy cow how stupid. The do "protect" the areas they own. The rest of the site has been preserved and is a big park. Still no access to the big mound..... unless you do..

I couldn't upload all or even some of my pics, too high resolution etc and just made a folder in Photobucket. They didn't come out in the order that I labelled them...
    But all there is you care to look. I'd rather walk a midden for 15 minutes.. Real interesting was a reproduction net with Ponderous Ark (Arcus) shells as net weights at the bottom. There are thousands at coastal sites.

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

​​​​​​​
    Professor Shellman
    Tampa Bay

Tom - That's quite a photo inventory ya got there. I really like the pottery. Even though I know a lot of it is reproduction I still like to see the patterns they used. I also remember the news story on that long canoe. That has got to be an awesome project of rebuilding that. Thanks for the post. Interesting stuff.
    Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Thanks for taking us along and sharing that pottery!
      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Thank u for the show !!!
        As for me and my house , we will serve the lord

Everett Williams ,
        NW Arkansas

Comment

Very nice Tom thank you for that tour !
          Do you find any of that pottery down there ?
          I found that net realty interesting as well .
          you know brilliant right those clams shells can be heavy .

Comment

Those cut-out and highly decorated pots and vessels were found in archy digs many years ago in burials and burial mounds on Weedon Island. Extremely rare to find vessels from this period intact because the "killed" the vessels by either knocking a hole in them or even making the vessel with a kill hole in it already. Those vessels in the pics are repros and the originals were pieced together. We do find regular everyday ware (some redware) from this period and rarely some highly decorated sherds, incised, punctated. That net really freaked me out as we find those Arca netweights ALL the time and I've never seen a repro of the net with them on it.
            Professor Shellman
            Tampa Bay

Comment

Working...
            X