Native American Artists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Native American Artists

Before turning in tonight, I thought I'd share some NA paintings that my nephew, Robert, gifted me. His father was a surgeon in Oklahoma in the 1960's and collected Native American art as a hobby. He gave Robert all of his collection and it's considerable. When I showed Robert my arrowhead collection, he said he had something that I could add to my collection without having to hunt for it. When I went to visit him last summer, he let me pick 3 from his collection. This is what I have:

Click image for larger version

Name:	D. Nevaquaya2.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	276537
    By Doc Tate Nevaquaya, Comanche, 1932-1996

Name:	J. Yazzie.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	276538

By Johnny Yazzie, Navaho, Titled Story Teller-Trail of Tears.

Name:	J. Tiger3.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	276539

By Jerome Tiger, Creek-Seminole, 1941-1967. Titled The Buffalo Hunt, these are miniature pictures each measuring 2" x 3.75". Below is a description of Jerome Tiger's work.

Name:	J Tiger2.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	276540

Since all of us here have an inherent attachment with Native Americans - I thought most would appreciate these artists contributions to their history and our education. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do.
    Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Hey Chuck, Thanks for the art show. That was a real nice gift to a head hunter.
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Ron and it was a totally unexpected gift.

Chuck, these are quite wonderful and you chose well. What generous gifts too. All three have an ethereal look that really appeals to me. What will he do with the rest?
    Child of the tides

Comment

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Deb - most of the NA artwork has the same effect on me. Most of the artwork he has is either rolled in tubes or flat in large folders. Many he has had framed and hanging in his house but the rest is stored for now. I'd like to see him do an exhibition somewhere. I guess it like our arrowheads, he'll keep it as a collection.

Very nice of your nephew and like Deb, like your selections. Interesting to see these mid 20th century depictions of life of the plains Indian.
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      Agree with you there Greg.

Top one is Perfect, all nice though.
    http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm not sure but when I looked that one up on Doc's website, it was titled "First Winter" but I'm not sure if it's the kids or dogs first winter, maybe both.

I think an exhibit would be great!
    Child of the tides

Comment

Really nice collection . I like the 3 mini lithographs at the bottom , they do depict a story anyone could understand . Middle watercolor is interesting . Looks at the signature with the buffalo head 2001. Going between the top which I always think about them in the winter surviving , and the 3 minis .
      Thats what art is about to evoke mommories or thoughts .

Comment

Working...
      X