Robbins Museum of Archaeology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robbins Museum of Archaeology

The Robbins is the museum of the Massachusetts Archaeological Society. Its "old fashion" style, meaning it's jam packed with artifacts, artifacts, and more artifacts. I will be posting close up photos of some of their displays in the future. They are open on Wed. and Sat throughout the year. Best public display of artifacts from New England that I am personally know of in the region...

Last edited by CMD; 01-31-2018, 02:09 PM.
    Rhode Island

Interesting, thanks for sharing. That looks like the kind of archaeological museum that I would enjoy. Actually, what I find most interesting is that the state archaeology society has a museum at all, much less one as grand as this one. Perhaps there are other state societies that have their own museums but this is the first one I remember hearing about. It causes me to wonder about how this came about and who or what provides the funding for its operation and maintenance, including any staff expenses or would it be run totally by volunteers.

Comment

Nice!!! Thanks for posting the video👍

Von

Comment

Originally posted by sailorjoe View Post
        Interesting, thanks for sharing. That looks like the kind of archaeological museum that I would enjoy. Actually, what I find most interesting is that the state archaeology society has a museum at all, much less one as grand as this one. Perhaps there are other state societies that have their own museums but this is the first one I remember hearing about. It causes me to wonder about how this came about and who or what provides the funding for its operation and maintenance, including any staff expenses or would it be run totally by volunteers.
        I had the honor of hunting points with the man, Earl Richardson, who was the son of John Richardson, a charter member of MAS, and who jump started their museum by donating many thousands of artifacts to the society. Earl was close to 90 when I first met him, I was in my 40's, and I truly had a difficult time keeping up with him.

Anyway, it used to be called the Bronson Museum, and here is some more info on it.

The Massachusetts Archaeological Society opened the Robbins Museum of Archaeology and Ethnology at 17 Jackson St in downtown Middleborough in 1988. Named for Maurice “Doc” Robbins, the first State Archaeologist of Massachusetts, Mass Archaeology curates extensive archaeological and ethnographic...

http://massarchaeology.org/tour-the-...masket-room-2/

And again, when I have time, I'll load up some good photos of displays and artifacts, including a celt still in its haft, with handle, and other stuff....
        Rhode Island

Comment

Thanks Charlie, look forward to seeing your posts from the museum. Like Joe, I find it surprising that a state society has, curates and can maintain a museum. The Indiana Society is lucky if it can get members to put on five shows a year. Pretty cool.
          I like the comment "an impressive ignorance" We Americans are pretty clueless about our prehistory.
          4000 + displayed 160,000 artifacts in the collection! Amazing what we have buried in our museums etc.
          Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

That looks like a great spot. Thanks for the information Charlie.

Comment

Working...
            X