A Rhode Island Frame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Rhode Island Frame

As some no doubt know, I have the habit of recognizing things in our collection long after they're actually surface collected. Last night I did it again, spotting a Kirk Corner Notch, unusual early triangle, and an early eared serrated lance. All found within the past 10 years, but not really studied/recognized.
    Our late typology expert, Jeff Boudreau had this to say about early rare types in southern New England:
    "Early rare types tend to occur on large multi-component sites where additional early types have been found"
    The fact is the Late Paleo/Early Archaic time period is little understood in New England. And, as it turns out, the most important site my wife and I ever located was such a site. Multi-component, as the larger frames here display, and having an early component with several types of early points.
    Here is a frame displaying what I believe are the early material. In the top row, there is a fragment of chipped ulu in the center. Plus several Late Paleo/Early Archaic quartzite lance bases. The two furthest to the left are made off flakes, found within a foot of each other, and could have been made by the same individual.

In the second row, far right, an unusual eared lance. Unusual in that it's argillite and serrated or erose along both remaining blade edges. I have never seen a serrated argillite point before. That's a first, and that's an early lance.

To the left of the eared lance in the middle row, another point I recognized last night. A deeply patinated felsite Basal notch resembling an Eva.. Conversely, it could be a variation of an early corner notch, though it does not resemble Kirks that are found as surface recoveries in southern New England.
    Edit: this is a brown felsite, used from Early Archaic through Woodland. It is by far the heaviest patination I've ever seen on this lithic.

In the bottom row, far left an un identified argillite bifurcate, and to it's right a MacCorkle bifurcate.  The green argillite point in the center bottom row is an early side notch, which some have related to Hardaway points. Though some vehemently object to use of that NC type name, there does seem to be a genetic relationship. Classic Hardaway Side Notch are known from this region. Next to it on the right, another odd triangle noticed last night. It's might be early, and one possible reconstruction is offered. But it can be reconstructed more "traditionally" and I certainly can't be sure of this, as this is a multi-component diet and later triangles are present. Depth of concavity usually separate earlier from later forms.

Now, a lot of broken things. It isn't about degree of completeness to me. It isn't about beautiful, and killer, to me. It 's about finding an extremely rare early site and finally recognizing that fact. Framed them all this morning....
    Early side notched:

Rhode Island

Here's a suggested reconstruction for the argillite Hardaway-like point. I may have this restored in the long run:

Untyped bifurcate:

MacCorkle bifurcate:

Two frames of "seconds", the lesser quality and brokes from this multi-component coastal RI site:
    The lances in the bottom row of first frame are not early. The patination is just not there.

The best pieces from this site not available to photograph at the moment. I am pleased to have had the opportunity to surface collect an early site in RI. Erosion has removed most of the site now, and I am glad I recognized it's importance to my collecting legacy. Again, completeness is irrelevant. It's about the archaeology.  That is far more rewarding to me then whether my points are G-10's.
    Rhode Island

Comment

WOW Charlie that's an amazing site collection. Thanks for the show.
      Michigan Yooper
      If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Very nice collection charlie!! Cool to find out your site is so early and finding out after that amount of time must hash up the excitement again!

Comment

rihunt wrote:

Very nice collection charlie!! Cool to find out your site is so early and finding out after that amount of time must hash up the excitement again!
            Thanks. You're right, Evan. In fact, it's more fun the second time around. It's amazing, at the same time, how many get put in the pocket, placed in a frame, and you see them all the time without seeing them at all.  Then one day, a light goes off for one reason or another. And it was a great spot for awhile. All those frames came off a site not much bigger then the interior of my car; just kept eroding out. I can only wonder what got washed away on days we didn't visit it.
          Rhode Island

Comment

Good thread Charlie. I don't know how many times I've done the same. Look, look,look and then you have that aha moment.
            Like you a G10 would be nice but I love having everything from one site and the story that site tells through the finds, broke, dinged or whatever the condition.
            Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

gregszybala wrote:

Good thread Charlie. I don't know how many times I've done the same. Look, look,look and then you have that aha moment.
              Like you a G10 would be nice but I love having everything from one site and the story that site tells through the finds, broke, dinged or whatever the condition.
                Yeah, exactly, Greg. Every site is a mystery at the start, and some stories that unfold are more exciting/interesting then others. Not that I would not want to find more complete examples, but as long as I can recognize the evidence for what it is, that's a big plus.
              Rhode Island

Comment

This piece is in the bottom row. Shown next to what I believe is an intact example of type. Not sure if these have a type name or not. I know they're regarded as early. This site was postage stamp size. Very tiny, but a real hot spot for a few years.

Rhode Island

Comment

Must feel pretty awesome finding a multicomponent site.  Bet hunts are exciting because you can find such variety in one spot.  Very cool Charlie
                  Montani Semper Liberi

Comment

Fun to listen to your thoughts.  Nice collection
                    South Dakota

Comment

Wow nice assemblage Charl thanks for sharing the pictures and descriptions
                      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Sometimes, when forms from different time periods are similar, patination tips the scale. The Corner or basal notch is not that similar to a later corner notch, but here is a nice study in patina, because this brown felsite is so common here.  Here's a small tool salvaged from a Woodland point, and found at the site. Compare to the older point, and you may see what I mean by the latter having a deep patina. Certainly exceeds what I see on Late Archaic points made from this felsite.

Rhode Island

Comment

Having second thoughts on the reconstruction I suggested on that quartzite triangle. Could be, but it's a multi-component site and the ears could display a different configuration. Could still be an earlier triangle, but perhaps not what I reconstructed.
                          Here are two Middle Archaic points from this site:

Lots of nice Late Archaic styles from this tiny site:

Rhode Island

Comment

That would have quickly become one of my favorite sites!  Great assortment of points.

Comment

B) great post bud! and great artifacts! that quartzite otter creek looks exactly like Doc's in shape and size.
                              call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

Working...
                              X