Indian House Reservation, West Brookfield Mass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indian House Reservation, West Brookfield Mass

Here are some pics of the Indian House Reservation, in West Brookfield Mass. The glaciers piled up many, absolutely huge erratic boulders forming a series of rock shelters. It is said that the Quabaug Indians, a Nipmuc tribe used the shelters for a winter camp. It has been a local attraction for over a century. Unfortunately there has never been any record of an actual Archaeological dig or survey being done there. I do know of one local collector who found points cached away in a crevice there. The picture of my friend standing inside of an overhang shows the scale. There is a nearby water source a hundred yards away.

Click image for larger version  Name:	rock house a.jpg - 1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	134.2 KB ID:	288784 Click image for larger version  Name:	rock house b.jpg - 1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	120.9 KB ID:	288785 Click image for larger version  Name:	rock house c.jpg - 1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	120.3 KB ID:	288786 Click image for larger version  Name:	rock house d.jpg - 1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	117.1 KB ID:	288787
    Last edited by clambellies; 03-02-2018, 10:20 AM.

Cool pics man...very ancient place. Are you allowed to search there?
    The chase is better than the catch...
    I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

It is now a 196 acre open space preserve managed by the Trustees of Reservations. Other than hiking around, I'm sure any digging isn't allowed. I've searched where there is a little erosion but have found nothing.

Comment

Hi CB. Very interesting. Thanks for giving us a look-see/

Comment

That’s an awesome place, you know if they ever do a dig there their gonna find stuff.Very cool spot
          call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

Very nice post , thanks for the walk along .
            All new to me and very interesting .
            I agree there would be so many artifacts found if they would allow a university to get envolved .

Comment

There's probably a pretty good chance that pothunters dug it up over a century ago. There used to be an electric trolley line that ran between the town of Ware & West Brookfield, and the Rock House used to be a regular stop for picnickers & strollers. The paths that run between the boulders are pretty flat and have probably long ago were graded to make walking safe.

Comment

Great post, Alan. Looks like a great spot!
                Rhode Island

Comment

It looks like a beautiful place. Would love to visit someday
                  South Dakota

Comment

Thanks for the pics, ive been meaning to visit. The worcester area had many collectors in the early & mid 1900s. The was an org i believe was called the worcester antiquity society, ive read some of the bulletins from a century ago, can be found online. Ill bet that generation collected at the site. CC Ferguson was a prominent worcster area collector, you can bet he collected there
                    Location - Eastern Massachu

Comment

I remember my dad saying that he saw Ferguson and some of his collection that he had brought to my dads school in Millbury Mass.

Comment

Alan, thats great! Did a little searching and the Ferguson, or part of Ferguson's collection is in the area somewhere because it was on display for a short time at MAS about 10 years ago. If I find out more Ill let you know, I would love to view the collection.

Thought you'd like to see this, info on the Rock House from a Trustees guide I picked up used somewhere...

Click image for larger version

Name:	trustees.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	289271

Name:	rockhouse1.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	289272

Name:	rockhouse2.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	289273

Location - Eastern Massachu

Comment

Oh great, that's neat. I would love to see what Ferguson found. Imagine collecting back then?

Comment

Working...
                          X