Which tribe lived here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which tribe lived here?

I am looking for a list of tribes that lived in this area. The Shawnee nation lived here, but I am looking for the "sub tribes" i.e. the Chillicothe, the Scioto, etc. I am mainly interested in the tribes that inhabited Carter Co. KY. Any info would be appreciated.
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Hey Kypoint, I know the Shawnee were the prevalent historic era tribe that inhabited northern KY, and I'm sure bands if Iroquois and Cherokee frequented the area at times also. As for specific Band of Shawnee I'm not sure but I did find these links for you that may be of interest...

http://www.kycarter.com/the_original...al_peoples.htm

I also have a book titled ' The Shawnee and the war for America' that may have the information you seek. I've only began to read it so I'd have to search to see if it contained information as far as specific bands in Northern KY. I'll try to do that soon. I've seen many nice artifacts from your area and I love the beautiful Carter Cave Chert that can be found there...
    Last edited by Kyflintguy; 06-26-2018, 04:59 PM.
    Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

• Kentucky point
      Kentucky point commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you so much for your help. I didn't find the tribe either, but I found something better. The creek I was going to hunt this week is the Tygart Indian trail! I knew there were Indians there, but this proves it.

Here's a downloadable PDF pertaining to the tribes that inhabited Kentucky.

I know duiring the Mississippian period the Fort Ancient Culture centered in Northeast Ky. These were the same people's we would recognize in the Historic era as the Shawnee. Prehistorically speaking you just throw tribal affilliations out the window so to speak... So you could possibly tie small triangular arrowpoints, pottery and some various other types of artifacts to those Shawnee people's but undoubtedly the vast majority of artifacts you might find predate the Historic era. Relatively speaking the Historic era was only a spec of time in comparison with the Paleo, Archaic, Woodland, and Mississippian periods that came before it.
    Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

• Broken Arrow
      Broken Arrow commented
      Editing a comment
      I second Josh's opinion on affiliation of artifacts with specific historic contact period tribes. I might also add that attributing artifacts to a tribe can possibly cause a number of legal issues to arise.

• Tam
      Tam commented
      Editing a comment
      Good link Josh

OK. I did not think of it that way. Thanks guys!
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

Working...
    X