Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adena/Hopewell activity around the Portsmouth Ohio region.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very nice post Kp
    Near the PA/Ohio state line

Comment

The Woodland time period is fascinating. In my part of the country it's broken down into 3 phases/cultures: the Adena, Hopewell, and Intrusive Mound. However, the Glacial Kame (Meadowood) started burying their dead in Kames during the late Archaic. Below are a couple of pics of a platform pipe I found 2018 from a site that that is 90% Hopewell.
      Attached Files
      Near the PA/Ohio state line

Comment

Hi KP, Just got around to reading this thread you started. Great work and stimulating discussion.

Comment

• Kentucky point
          Kentucky point commented
          Editing a comment
          Hopefully I'll be able to add to it.

Great thread. It’s worth noting that the diagrams shown earlier in the thread are from the book “Ancient Monuments of the Mississippi Valley” by Squier and Davis published in 1847. This work is considered one of the first serious works of American archaeology to be published on ancient earthworks. These two men traveled far and wide in the mid 1840s documenting and excavating know earthworks. Unfortunately many many of the documented earthworks have fallen to the plow and road grader so these diagrams are all we have left to marvel over.
        Uncle Trav- Southwest Michigan

Comment

The Hopewell were really advanced in their art and lithics as well as wood. Everytime I found a snyder I thoughy there is a platform pipe somewhere I just have to find it. Never did. Thanks for posting this.
          SE IA

Comment

As I re-read this post, I'm beginning to think I want to re-do it, throw in some new stuff, edit the layout a bit and provide a bit more detail. I am a huge critic of my own writing, so I'm looking at this with a bit of disdain on my part.
            "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

• oldrocks2
              oldrocks2 commented
              Editing a comment
              Why, it's great reading now.

• Kentucky point
              Kentucky point commented
              Editing a comment
              I can make it better. Sometimes folks don't know they want something better, until they see better in action. Someone said that once, and for the life of me I don't know who. It almost sounds like a Disney villain though .

• Uncle Trav
              Uncle Trav commented
              Editing a comment
              You have done an awesome job. Posts like yours add to the greater knowledge of this great site and draw folks deeper into the history of the artifacts they find.
              Keep up the good work.
              👍😃

KP you did a great job on this. I have found as time passes I can improve on myself as well. Don't down yourself. Go to it make it better if you can. It has raised an interest in me as well as the others that took the time to read and view this piece. Thank you. Kim
            Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

Working...
            X