The Grand River and Sitting Bull

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Grand River and Sitting Bull

Lately I've showed a few things that I have found on the Grand River in western SD. I thought I would share a little history about this river that pertains to what everyone here loves. Back in 1881, One of the last remaining Chiefs of the upper plains gave in to the US government and took up residence on the reservation in SD. That chief was Sitting Bull. He had a small cabin on the Grand.
    This was the Standing Rock Reservation. He remained a little difficult with the reservation's agent Major James McLaughlin. When the indians started a new dance, The Ghost Dance, the government got nervous and feared more trouble. They didn't understand the dance. The Major sent out tribal police to arrest Sitting Bull on December 15, 1890 at dawn, but unfortunately, Sitting Bull, Crowfoot, and Sitting Bull's adopted brother Jumping Bull were all shot to death.
    So ended Sitting Bull's life on the Grand. He is buried nearby where the Grand meets The Missouri.
    This happened 121years ago minus 7 days.

The Grand River
    South Dakota

This is our land, this in our land taken by the crooked whiteman, our souls will never be at rest.
    Jack

Comment

Yes Jack,  it is some sad history, and bad things have been done.
      I kind of hoped to try and remember Sitting Bull on the anniversary
      of his death and give a little connection with the Grand. 
      Gary
      South Dakota

Comment

Gary
        I am part Alabama Cherokee but I understand $%^-and- happens and you got to take charge of what is left and not look behind. The past is a trash heap and will only bring you down if you think to much about how it was and is no more.
        Jack

Comment

Working...
        X