Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4402.PNG
Views:	490
Size:	167.2 KB
ID:	333505 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4387.PNG
Views:	261
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	333504 Ever year I take a trip to South Dakota to go pheasant hunting. I always try to make a side trip to see at least on NA related attraction. This year I went to Pipestone national monument in Minnesota. It is an absolutely beautiful place. The pipestone quarry is located in Pipestone county in western Minnesota near the South Dakota border. It is a Catalinite quarry. Catalinite is a type of argillite (metamorphosed mudstone) usually brownish-red in color, which occurs in a matrix of Sioux Quartzite. This stone was highly prized for its workability especially for pipemaking. Just wanted to share this wonderful place with everyone. This stone was named after George Catlin who visited the quarry in 1835. Only enrolled Native Americans are allowed to quarry here after a long registration process that could take years.
    N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Name:	image_50998.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	333518 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_50997.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	333517 After visiting Pipestone National Monument, I went about two miles down the road the Pipestone County Historical Museum.they had a great Native American display with some very nice artifacts.
    Last edited by Sugaree; 11-21-2018, 08:09 PM.

Comment

Beautiful artifacts they have there Sugaree. That would be quite an inspiration to visit a quarry that is still active today to NA's. Thanks for posting.
      Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

A few more pics from Pipestone MN

Comment

• Scorpion68
          Scorpion68 commented
          Editing a comment
          Sugaree - What's the story behind the tree with what appears to be rags hanging from the limbs??

• Sugaree
          Sugaree commented
          Editing a comment
          Chuck those are Native American prayer ties. Prayer offerings. Just google NA prayer ties.

Very cool stuff! The artifacts are amazing! They even had the same kind of crescent like that guy found in the Facebook page!

We have a catlinite deposit about twenty- five miles from here. I don't know if it's any good though.
        "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

Hey Marshall, Thanks It's interesting to see one of the quarries. I have 105 catlinite beads of various sizes from Minnesota.
          Michigan Yooper
          If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• Sugaree
            Sugaree commented
            Editing a comment
            It really is a beautiful place. I got my wife a pair of Catlinite earrings. I also got myself a four winds pipe need to make a stem for it. They had some very intricate pipes for sale. There were also two NA artisans at work creating pipes.

• Ron Kelley
            Ron Kelley commented
            Editing a comment
            Hey Marshall, I would like to see your pipe. BTW I saw a site on line where you can buy stems of various lengths.

• Sugaree
            Sugaree commented
            Editing a comment
            Will do Ron I only got a basic pipe dut to cost. Some were absolutely amazing next time I might save up for a more intricate one. Would love to check out that online stem site. Cool thing about getting a pipe here is that it come with papers about the artist.

Hey Marshall that's a cool experience....I like red rocks...I think.i got one little piece of catlinite I found...about the size of a small acorn...Nice post man.... Red
          SW Connecticut

Comment

• Sugaree
            Sugaree commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Red! The NPS had a great video about how sacred the pipe is very well done.

Thanks for the pics and bringing us a long.
          That place is cool. While standing over the quarry you wonder how many have been there before you and how many pipes etc. have been created from there.
          Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• Sugaree
            Sugaree commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Greg the Re Sioux Quartzite cliffs were absolutely beautiful just wish I had a better camera to capture the colors. The petroglyph display was very well done also. They removed them from outside and placed them in the visitor center for protection.

Hey Marshall, The site I mentioned is "Catlinite Pipes by Alan Monroe, Oglala Lakota". He has Ash pipe stems of 10,12,16,20, and 23 inches long. All are the same price ($60).
          Authentic Pipestone Catlinite Ceremonial Smoking Pipes hand made by Lakota Sioux artist Alan Monroe | many types including T-Pipes, Four Winds, Classic, Chiefs, Effigy pipes | signed by artist and buffed with beeswax | sacred catlinite from Pipestone National Monument
          Michigan Yooper
          If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• Sugaree
            Sugaree commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Ron! I added a pic of my pipe.

Name:	IMG_4425.JPG
Views:	211
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	333667

Comment

• Ron Kelley
            Ron Kelley commented
            Editing a comment
            Hey Marshall, I wouldn't want it any fancier that that. I'm not a fan of the effigy pipes. That's a great lookin pipe.
        Working...
        X