Meadowcroft Rock Shelter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meadowcroft Rock Shelter

I visited this location back in June. I never got to posting the pics, or story. Here are a few I took, and the link adds a lot more.

Meadowcroft Rockshelter has been continually inhabited for 16 000 years. It is an archaeological site on the north bank of Cross Creek, located near Avella in Washington County, in southwestern Pennsylvania, United States. The site, a rock shelter in a bluff overlooking Cross Creek (a tributary of the Ohio River) is located about 36 miles west-southwest of Pittsburgh. The artifacts from the site show the area has been continually inhabited for 16 000 years, since Paleo-Indian times. Meadowcroft Rockshelter was one of the first archaeological sites in the United States to contain evidence of pre-Clovis populations.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0714.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	237.8 KB
ID:	341538

Name:	DSC_0715.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	250.8 KB
ID:	341539 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0710.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	194.9 KB
ID:	341540

Name:	DSC_0615.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	194.6 KB
ID:	341541
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Just beautiful. I could sit in silence there for hours.. In pic 2 that gravel bar looks tasty !
    Lubbock County Tx

Comment

• Kentucky point
      Kentucky point commented
      Editing a comment
      Do you know how tempting it was to just jump in that creek and look for points? Very. It was close to 90, and the speaker was boring. I was tempted.

• Lindenmeier-Man
      Lindenmeier-Man commented
      Editing a comment
      I’ve been in that situation on occasion.. lol. I can tell you a secret that won’t work in water.. But as for surface hunting, it’s the bomb !

You lucky dog!
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• Kentucky point
      Kentucky point commented
      Editing a comment
      It's only about an hour from my grandmothers. I have never gone on a field hunt, but I have walked the creek in front of her house a few times. Zilch.

Great photos. I have never been there but have followed Adovasio's work there since he was a lone voice in the pre-Clovis wilderness. No more!
    Last edited by CMD; 01-01-2019, 06:21 PM.
    Rhode Island

Comment

What a nice spot!
      South Dakota

Comment

• Kentucky point
        Kentucky point commented
        Editing a comment
        It really is. It is the perfect spot for Native American habitation. It was close to 90 when I was there, but in the shelter, near Cross creek...very relaxing and comfy.

"The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

That is pretty KP....Nice pics...I'm seeing notched stones all over the place
        SW Connecticut

Comment

• Kentucky point
          Kentucky point commented
          Editing a comment
          I wouldn't doubt it. Cross creek has some fish, and the Monongahela isn't too far away.

Thanks for posting the pictures! On my bucket list. I do have Adovasio's book about the rock shelter and have read it numerous times.

Comment

Working...
        X