Real life Thunderbirds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Real life Thunderbirds

Like many of you I was dodging server storms this afternoon. I got home right before they hit. As I looked up, I noticed a few birds taking advantage of the strong outflow winds ahead of the squall line. This is a somewhat common event in the summer if look for it. Several species do this. Since the winds are strong, the birds have to fold their wings into a squared off attack position with their heads up, pointing into the wind. Creating the classic Thunderbird profile of legend. As the wind and clouds push forward, the birds are also pushed along the front, just ahead of the storm. It's easy to see why the Native Americans would make an assumption that the thunderstorm was being pulled along by these birds who seem to dance around just outside of harms way as they move across the landscape. This is why I don't completely dismiss any NA myth, even if it seems far fetched. There is often truth or at least clues to what happen in the past embedded in their oral history.
    Last edited by flintguy; 03-14-2019, 11:19 PM.
    Central Ohio

Ancient Thunderbird Petroglyph's were found in The Area I live. A big Bird etching/carving anyway, but some say Tomato and Other's say Tomoto and that's OK. Here is a couple pic's from a local Park I took.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	100_0718 (640x480).jpg Views:	1 Size:	71.5 KB ID:	356346
    Click image for larger version  Name:	100_0714 (640x480).jpg Views:	1 Size:	90.9 KB ID:	356347
    Cool Topic Flintguy!
    http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Thanks Josh. Notice how the birds body position in the petroglyphs you posted matches my pics and the other depictions I posted? Birds usually only hold the wing angle and flared out tail very briefly in flight, but in strong constant winds, such as a thunderstorm, they stay like that for a much longer period. You see the same depiction throughout North America most times when it comes to the Thunderbird, even from different cultures.
      Central Ohio

Comment

• JoshinMO
        JoshinMO commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep I seen a Vulture doing this pose just other Day, It was windy.

Hey Flint guy. Nice pics man. And interesting subject
      SW Connecticut

Comment

Portable petroglyphs from Massachusetts:

Click image for larger version

Name:	71886F72-41B8-45CA-9F51-BDDBF8558924-175-000000022608BC6A.png
Views:	156
Size:	836.5 KB
ID:	356536
        Rhode Island

Comment

From Duxbury, Ma., a thunderbird incised on a steatite sherd:

Click image for larger version  Name:	1D2DC7E3-73EB-4D93-BB93-5C32B2E624E1-175-00000004575F2C4C.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	129.0 KB ID:	356541

This example is from Ma. Wampanucket Site #6, dated to 4300 BP. It's an illustration of the example photographed in the preceding comment. It's wings would appear to be too short, but has nonetheless been interpreted as a thunderbird. You can see it better in this illustration by Wm. Fowler, then in the photo I had to take through glass at the Robbins Museum.

Click image for larger version  Name:	5BA3CBBE-6012-43CC-9C79-597B267FA386-175-000000048B0233B3.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	102.1 KB ID:	356542

Last edited by CMD; 03-16-2019, 01:21 PM.
          Rhode Island

Comment

Even the famous "birdman" is holding the same position. With possible lightning behind him. It's interesting to see this same shape continuously over time and different regions.
            Central Ohio

Comment

Cool post guys . We actually have this seabird here that stays way out at sea and comes in to mate on cliffs .
              Before Doppler Radar you knew a bad storm was coming if you saw them flying in . Kind of a fun fact .

Comment

Working...
              X