Hommeny holes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hommeny holes

I have always been told that corn was ground in these holes. When I looked down in them I could see clay and other pottery materials still stuck to the sides. Maybe some were used as food grinders, but I think some were for pottery. Two of the holes were big as a coffee can and deep as my arm. The one hole that was like a table with a clean out hole in the bottom ,is the one with the pottery material stuck to the sides. Does anyone know what all the little holes are for?

I think their naturally made, I don’t think the natives made them. Not to say they might not of used em, but I think natural formations.
    call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

• JoshMathews
      JoshMathews commented
      Editing a comment
      They probably just taking advantage of them. Several of the show wear , probably shaping up a pestal, cracking some walnuts.

Some could be natural but the bigger ones could also be boulder mortars. There is a few of them in my area but not in the places I look. Now the pottery question I don’t have a answer for you. As far as I know they used large long pestles for grinding in the deep holes. At the same time I’ve then wondered how they got the mixture out when finished
    NW Georgia,

Comment

• JoshMathews
      JoshMathews commented
      Editing a comment
      Iam thinking they ground everything up in the hole, moved the rock blocking drain hole . Out poured ready pottery mix. Add some water , make something useful. Natives may not have done that, but I could see me doing that

• JoshMathews
      JoshMathews commented
      Editing a comment
      They are neat, you can see they bored them so deep , probably got to be more trouble than it was worth. Just made another one. Finely after two holes to deep , they made one you could clean out. Progress, like Industrial Age . They applied for the patten , but was denied lol.

• JoshMathews
      JoshMathews commented
      Editing a comment
      The 3 big holes are mortar holes for sure, quite common in my area of green river flood plain. Once they was so deep and hard to clean out they just made another one.

Once you can eliminate a natural occurance, there is also the matter of cupules. Always been fascinated by them, because they are world wide, and some are very ancient.
    That was my first thought, but only because I'm familiar with them.

ultraxart.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, ultraxart.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Series of images at the above site, and just Google "cupules peyroglyphs", an image search too. Not saying that's what you're looking at, and that deep one wouldn't fit the description, but hard not to think of cupules.

Another intro:

Cupules: Prehistoric Hemispherical Petroglyphs: Definition, Description, History, Types: Oldest Cupule Discovery, Bhimbetka

Rhode Island

Comment

• JoshMathews
      JoshMathews commented
      Editing a comment
      Interesting read. I believe their are both types their. Naturally occurring on vertical walls with the water pattern and man made In between flat to 45 degree angle.

Great article, if you can download it....

Rhode Island

Comment

• JoshMathews
      JoshMathews commented
      Editing a comment
      I wouldn't think art work, more like served a purpose far as tool makeing , food purpose, just trying to make life easier, or better.

Another way those holes get there are from blasting and I’m not saying they were put there by modern man but when they want to blast a rock they will drill them holes and put explosives into them. Then blow the rocks up.
    NW Georgia,

Comment

• JoshMathews
      JoshMathews commented
      Editing a comment
      I have seen a few of them at the river if the water is low enough. Just extras from when they blasted a boat ramp in.

I should have started this thread more like this. A few weekends ago I got the opportunity to visit an archic to woodland indain site. A freind of the family got me inturduced to the owner of the land . He took me and showed it to me. He don't let people go back their . He was just being nice. He said when he was 8 he found some artifacts their. Long story short , in the early 60's it was excavated by a collage archaeologists. They were their for days ,took a bunch of stuff deemed it a site but not significant . It was released back to the land owner , don't worry it's still kinda gaurded. Like I said he took me back their. Lol. I don't know all the details like the who or exact year. just thought I would share some pitchers from my small vacation in western ky. Green river flood plain hommey hole in an archic to woodland time period rock shelter.

Comment

Bear in mind that "rock art" is not the same thing as saying they are "works of art". Rock art is just another term that denotes either petroglyphs or pictographs. In the case of cupules, nobody really knows their purpose, but it's doubtful that they were thought of as "art" in the same way we think of art. If you are not familiar with rock art, that can be a deceiving term; it's just not the same thing as saying they are "art produced on rock", or "art work". Cupules are simply the oldest examples of such work, but not all cupules are the same age. Don't think of them as "art work". They were not made by some Picasso doing his thing. And of course what your're showing may be altogether natural....
      Rhode Island

Comment

These are cupules at Grimes point in the Great Basin Nevada . Yours look like acidic water dripping on lime stone over a long period of time but its hard to tell from photos .

Comment

Working...
        X