Indian altar....?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indian altar....?

Had an interesting day with a friend that took me around to some tepee rings and what the locals around here call an altar. I'm not even sure if the Native Americans had altars, but thats what I was told it was. It's a flat rock, with dark stains on it. They told me it was from fire. It sits in a little circular depression and all surrounded by rocks. Right on the top of a high ridge. You can see forever there. I tried to get the best pictures I could. Also, about a mile to the east on the same ridge, the famous Prayer Rock was found. It now sits in a museum in Britton SD. It has hand prints in the face of it. I will include a link to anyone that is interested.
    What do you think about this possible altar? Was there such a thing?

The last photo is a view to the south.  An equal view to the north.
    South Dakota

Interesting but I have no clue. Nice looking country you have out there. Lots of pine trees around here.

Comment

I have no clue but i wouldn't be surprised if they didn't use it for something with that elevated view..... Can spot trouble from a long way off..... Nice pics!
      Makes me think, you better make sure you pee before you leave home, heck... There's  no where to hide out there to take a leak!! :whistle:
      Southern Connecticut

Comment

cgode wrote:

I have no clue but i wouldn't be surprised if they didn't use it for something with that elevated view..... Can spot trouble from a long way off..... Nice pics!
        Makes me think, you better make sure you pee before you leave home, heck... There's  no where to hide out there to take a leak!! :whistle:
          lol  "Hide."   :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Comment

Samuel
          This country was all prairie with hardly any trees that weren't planted
          after the 30's.  Not sure about thousands of years ago.  We have plenty
          of moisture for trees,  just no trees.  Lots of buffalo though
          South Dakota

Comment

This is true Chris.  Can hide behind a big rock once in awhile.  Found
            several tepee rings along this ridge today.  They must have liked it.
            South Dakota

Comment

what a view, down here you can't see pass 10 feet off the side of the road, i walk a sand mine not far from me, frist time i went there you could see dark spots where they had there fires, hundreds of them, now they've scraped it to the hard pan, they take the sand and dump it in a pond, then suck it out with a big floating pump system to wash it, i'd love to have the stuff on the bottom thanks for the pictures

Comment

Could be what you were told I am not sure...but it does look like a Saddle Mortar to me. I have found one but not near as long as that one. The one I found was probably 2 feet in length. If I was a guessing person I would say a large mortar. But that is a cool story.

Comment

Twoshovel,   We have our flat spots too,  but I live next to the coteau hills as well.
                  You may need to learn to scuba dive.  Sounds like a fun way to find artifacts.  Consider
                  it your  archeological duty!!   
                  South Dakota

Comment

Itwasluck.
                    You may be right,  looks like a saddle mortar would be.  The dark spots could also
                    be stains from some material they ground with.  I'm not qualified to say that its soot.
                    The guy thought it would be fun to dig around it,  but didn't think we should disturb it.  I agreed.
                    Sure would like to dig though.  How do you dig without disturbing a site like that?
                    Gary
                    South Dakota

Comment

Right in the middle it shows a indentation that is called a dimple. That is where the mano would of been used to grind seeds or grain,corn. What ever they ate. You can see the patina is worn some in those areas. I am 90% certain its a mortar. You should look around for the mano. But I did read they took their manos with them and left the mortars when they relocated. Usually the mortars were turned upside down so if they returned they could use it again. You might want to turn it over and look at the other side to see what it looks like. Very cool item!

Comment

good idea itwasluck.  Maybe thats where the mano is.  Hidden there with lots of other goodies!!
                        Gary
                        South Dakota

Comment

When you go back dont forget your camera cause I would like to see the other side!

Comment

Working...
                          X