Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Projectile point quality based on animals hunted?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There was a lot more here than I could read right now so maybe this was already said. Maybe a point was made in a ceremonial way to bless the hunt? Put time an effort into making a beautiful point in hopes it would bring a good hunt.

Comment

• Charles Jones
      Charles Jones commented
      Editing a comment
      I’m sure some people thought that way. I know ceremonial pieces were made. I’m sure some hunters thought “special” points had more power.

I always heard the smaller points were made due to the size of the cobblestones being smaller. Maybe once upon a time the chert cobblestones were bigger but there just isn't many to find now just small cobbles is all I see. I do have some larger points but most are 1 inch size.
    NW Georgia,

Comment

There are hundreds of reason or possibilities as to why something could be this or that. Nothing as relates to points being crude or field grade can be catagorized into one presupposed use or purpose . Nobody was around to observe so its a lot of conjecture . I dont believe in absolutes in regards to point usage for the most part unless its found sticking into a bone ( which there have been many found and many more associated with kill sites ect) While one could certainly kill with a sharp dart or bird point there are many other uses for them aswell. Having a sharp knife in your pocket can be used for many thousands of different things ,Which i can attest that ive used mine many times for many things in the past month . So if you find a "field grade" /Crude point there could be many thousands of daily uses or its end use could be that the user was banging on it a bit and decided to use his short life expectancy on something more worthwhile/Workable. As a father and as many of you who have kids are working on a project and your kid tries to duplicate what a master craftsman is working on , its usually a praiseworthy effort on their parts but its just not very functional. I believe just one of the many reasons you find crude points is the kiddos are playing and having fun while trying to keep up with the old man. Im sure they had plenty of crude points in their quivers.

Comment

• Sopwith
        Sopwith commented
        Editing a comment
        Coming late to this discussion. Not an expert, but my kids both flintknap, especially my 9-year-old. I imagine most NA kids (including girls) left hundreds of poorly-done, half-finished, or broken points strewn all over the place before they ever got good at it. Sometimes, I find something and the only explanation I can think of is that some kid was still learning the craft. All I need to do is look at my own deck, where my boys have left hundreds of flakes, broken points, failed attempts, etc. That said, the kids occasionally produce something that would fool (and have) amateur collectors like me, and maybe a pro (were it not for the lack of patina). Great comments on this chain!

If not completely on topic, I thought it worth mentioning that it's said that tribes in California sometimes had doctors at obsidian quarries, who would oversee proceedings, designating material for purpose; - this one for bear, this one for deer, this one for man.. etc.

Also, the same story - or perhaps a different one, of different people and different times- says certain obsidians were named as poisonous and were reserved for nefarious purposes.

Neither of these stories address the notion that point design and quality are related to specific purpose, but do help shed some light on attitudes.

My own experience shows rough and crude tools and points seem to have existed side by side. I think tools were often only as complex as a task required but value was place on finely made things too.

Maybe everybody had a decent knife and quiver but relied on bits and pieces for more mundane tasks.
      California

Comment

Originally posted by SurfaceHunter View Post
        I always heard the smaller points were made due to the size of the cobblestones being smaller. Maybe once upon a time the chert cobblestones were bigger but there just isn't many to find now just small cobbles is all I see. I do have some larger points but most are 1 inch size.
        Not so here in Cali, where I routinely find debitage large enough to be knapped into smaller points.

I am inclined to believe that the smaller points proved to be more efficient and slowly took over,

Large points are probably knives or lance-type tips, unless they are old enough to predate archery.

As usual, I'm guessing.
        California

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
          SurfaceHunter commented
          Editing a comment
          I've found so called knives with impact fractures on the tips now they aren't but 2 inches long though

There had to be a class system of some form in all periods. And with safety in numbers, a man with ten sons would probably have more choice material and be able to protect his home while his sons were off finding choice material or hunting animals. Bigger families probably had better access to prime sites . I ponder this stuff on my ten hour walks sometimes!
        North Carolina

Comment

Working...
        X