Native Americans and Orion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Native Americans and Orion

I was outside yesterday morning at around 3:30 (I get up early for school, and I wanted the air to wake me up) and I noticed my good friend Orion in the sky. It is the easiest constellation for me to spot, and the three stars of Orion's belt are very recognizable. This got me thinking, "If I can spot this star group so easily, the Native Americans surely did as well". So I did a little bit of research and found out that my hypothesis was correct.

Click image for larger version

Name:	_CSC02662222222.jpg
Views:	828
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	391571 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0411.jpg
Views:	731
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	391572

Different cultures saw different symbolism's when they saw Orion. Today, we only have the more recent tribes views, such as the Navajo, the Lakota, etc. We don't fully understand or know what the ancients saw in Orion, but some traces of Mound Builder culture have been seen to signify Orion in their handiwork.

Orion, at least the story about it, comes from Ancient Greek mythology, but of course the Native Americans didn't know about Greece. Instead of a Greek hunter, the Lakota people saw the star group as a chief. However, the constellation was broken into parts, and the three stars of Orions belt are viewed as a Bison spine.

In the Far West, the Chinook tribe view Orions belt and dagger as two canoes in a race to catch a Salmon in the Big River, known to us in modern times as the Milky Way. The Salmon is represented by the star, Sirius, and the "Little Canoe" known as the dagger, is winning the race.

The Navajo people see Á tse A ts’oosí or "First Slender One" in Orion. This time, Orion is viewed as a hunter, aiming a large bow. The constellation is viewed as a protector, as it moves ahead to protect the Navajo children, portrayed as another constellation, Dilyéhé.

Native American moundbuilders, who lived in present day Portsmouth Ohio, saw the Milky Way as souls on a Journey to Orions Nebula. They made the famous Portsmouth Earthworks to line up with certain stars, and Orion was one of the very key constellations in their beliefs.

I think it is cool to look at Orion, think of the ancient people who lived where I live today, and welcome back, "My old Winter friend".
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

That’s great info Ethan.
    Lubbock County Tx

Comment

• Kentucky point
      Kentucky point commented
      Editing a comment
      It was just a thought I'd thought I'd share. I will be doing some more of that informational stuff this year half like I did over the fall and winter last year.

• Lindenmeier-Man
      Lindenmeier-Man commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks , I’ll be looking ....

Hi Ethan. I just noticed this thread. Those are great photos. I'm really glad that you followed through with your "wondering" and did this research. Very interesting to me. I will be eagerly looking forward to more such posts as this one.

Comment

I always welcome the appearance of Orion as he marches in with cooler weather. It means beach hunting again! But by the dead of winter I’m ready for him to march off the sky’s edge because I’m sick of the cold and long nights. It’s a love/hate relationship.
      Child of the tides

Comment

• Kentucky point
        Kentucky point commented
        Editing a comment
        Same situation here.

O, KP, my favorite, Sirius the Dog Star needs more of your attention. Always running lower and ahead of beloved master, the mighty hunter Orion.....Timmy & Lassie had nothing on that pair! Was laid-up as little kid one winter coz injury, and dad brought me telescope. What great stories associated with the stars; and no wonder since the night sky was original prime time TV. I still know winter sky like back of now beat-up ole hand.....

I’m sure Sirius big part native AIs’ lore; can you expound the salmon story? And thank you for the rush of stellar memories!
      Last edited by Cecilia; 09-21-2019, 02:55 AM.
      Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

• Kentucky point
        Kentucky point commented
        Editing a comment
        I can't tell star color. My eyes are too bad for that.

• Cecilia
        Cecilia commented
        Editing a comment
        Your eyes may have problems, but your sight does not. In my short time here, you have shown me/us so many, many wonderful things. Whenever you post, I know I’m going to see something new. Thank you.

• Kentucky point
        Kentucky point commented
        Editing a comment
        Aww, well, shucks! I just like leaning, and sharing what I've learned.

Very educational. You've done your research. Thanks for sharing.
      North Carolina

Comment

My favorite cluster is the Pleiades, or Seven Sisters, which can be found using Orion's Belt as a pointer. The Seven Sisters are often used as a test of eyesight, the more stars in the cluster you can count, the better your eyesight. What has always amazed me is the great number of cultures, world wide, including many First Nation peoples, for whom the Pleiades are important cosmological elements. Very important in Hopi mythology and cosmological ceremony, for instance.

Click image for larger version

Name:	32A8A1BA-8695-45A8-B823-73F7458B979A-3424-000001ABBBAE7AD3.jpeg
Views:	693
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	393616

Rhode Island

Comment

• Kentucky point
          Kentucky point commented
          Editing a comment
          I can't count a single star in the Pleiades, even with my glasses on. I have terrible eyesight.

• Tam
          Tam commented
          Editing a comment
          Very nice .. Charlie I never saw the southern cross till I was in Hawaii . Very fun to watch come up . Our University will set up out here once a year for us what a treat .

I have hard time sometimes, too. I think even had perfect eyesight, can be hazy (depending upon “atmospheric conditions”?), so I just look for the tiny cotton ball!

Comment

KP, look at your picture of Orion above; you can see knee has red star in it!

Comment

I think how the Skidi Pawnee used the stars is quite amazing. The theory of `As Above So Below` just blows me away. Apparently they would lay out their homes, their villages and even where they travelled too ( i.e. other different villages ) in the same way as they saw the night sky. Click image for larger version

Name:	skidipawnee002.jpg
Views:	781
Size:	267.7 KB
ID:	397986
            If You Know Your History You Can Predict The Future

Comment

• Cecilia
              Cecilia commented
              Editing a comment
              Sounds as good of a plan as any! I visited Mayan ruins in which one structure was set with little windows made to frame particular stars.
              Last edited by Cecilia; 10-18-2019, 12:26 AM.

• LucasBMylks
              LucasBMylks commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes I saw that recently on T.V. The window lined up with the stars at some important time of the year (solstice... i think but not sure which one. With the Pawnee system can you imagine going to another site without a map of the land but knowing where it was because you followed the stars in sky...incredible. We will never know how much they knew about things in
              their world because (and rightly so) they would never tell us.

• Cecilia
              Cecilia commented
              Editing a comment
              Since time immemorial, the tail end of The Little Dipper, North Star, Polaris, has guided humans over both land and sea. Both Dippers part of beautiful constellations, mama and baby bears, Ursa Minor and Major. If can’t find Little Dipper, find Big Dipper, whose two stars forming outer edge of cup point to Polaris. I actually had to try this once in Georgia woods!
              (I figure you know this, LucasB, but suppose it’s possible another member may not.....?)
              Last edited by Cecilia; 10-18-2019, 10:21 PM.

Thanks Ethan , I always enjoy your photographs and posts . This one had a few interesting responses with Lucas and CMD . Always learning ...

Comment

Working...
            X