Indigenous People’s Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indigenous People’s Day

October 14th is designated “Indigenous People’s Day”. Personal theory is should mankind keep surviving, we will be “homogenized” species. I imagine now most of us who’ve been in USA for several generations have Native American blood. I am allegedly, according to family “legend”, 1/4th Cherokee. What about y’all?
    Last edited by Cecilia; 09-24-2019, 07:31 PM.
    Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Most of my ancestors migrated to America prior to the War of the Revolution. I have worked on my family history for about 25 years. As far as I know I have no NA ancestors, but there are some branches that I've not been able to follow prior to 1800. But I probably have no aboriginal ancestors. Most of my ancestors back in the early Pennsylvania, Virginia and North Carolina frontier were probably trying to evade the scourge of attacks by the French and their allies. If you are 1/4 Cherokee that means one of your grandparents was Cherokee. Are they from Oklahoma or North Carolina or did they leave the reservation?

Comment

• Cecilia
      Cecilia commented
      Editing a comment
      Gosh, wish I knew more. Grandmother, who according to family was Cherokee, died giving birth to last of eight children, my father. I know they lived in Georgia, but don’t know her place of birth. Remember Grandfather slightly, but he died in truck accident when I was five. I guess heritage is more of family story than any documented lineage. Do know Grandfather’s family had history originating Northern Ireland, then time period in Pennsylvania, so, maybe Grandmother had family history there.

Ancestry muddled, at best, but like to speculate!

• Cecilia
      Cecilia commented
      Editing a comment
      Supposed had DNA test, would be afraid “send her back to Planet X; think she may not be human!”

• sailorjoe
      sailorjoe commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm aware that their was a sizable Cherokee community in northern GA prior to the "Trail of Tears". Some of them likely evaded the "roundup" along with others that eventually formed the Eastern Band of Cherokees that wound up in NC. Some likely just melted into the background. The other groups such as certain Choctaw and Creeks did likewise and remained on or near their ancestral areas.

Friday sept 27th is California Native American Day.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-09-24 at 16.45.40.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	164.9 KB
ID:	393709

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-09-24 at 16.45.12.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	393710

Should be a fun day.
    California

Comment

• Cecilia
      Cecilia commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for posting this! Makes me wanna fly California.

I’m told that I am 2% Neanderthal !
    Lubbock County Tx

Comment

• CMD
      CMD commented
      Editing a comment
      Cecilia, ALL Caucasian Europeans are a percentage Neanderthal.

• utilized flake
      utilized flake commented
      Editing a comment
      Svante Pablo!!! Yes anyone who walked out of Africa has a % of Neanderthal DNA... European ancestors have a bit m9re because that's where the neandertals were centered!!! Me I'm prolly 5%! Lol

• Cecilia
      Cecilia commented
      Editing a comment
      GOSH. Again, I say, so pleased found this forum... Go, Neanderthals!

Lets see, I am not 100% familiar with what percentage of each lineage I'm from, but I do know that I am part:

Apache

Chezch

Slovak

English

Irish

German

English and Irish, oh the irony!

I think it's cool to be part Apache.
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

When I was small & misbehaved, my mother would threaten to give me back to the Indians. Although she may have thought that would strike fear in her daughter, this tomboy was thrilled at the idea. One day while she was hosting a bridge club party with several of her lady friends, I proudly announced I was part Comanche! Don’t ask me why I chose that particular tribe, except I knew they were brilliant horsemen & I loved to ride. Needless to say she was mortified and a few of her friends, taking note of my dark brown hair, brown eyes & summer tan, must have burned up the gossip line afterwards. 🤣
      Child of the tides

Comment

• Cecilia
        Cecilia commented
        Editing a comment
        Some of us just can’t help our irreverence. It’s been my bane always.

I wasn't aware of Friday's significance, but I did go out hunting, so I guess I honored the continent's original inhabitants in my own way. Whenever I touch an artifact or go out searching, I can't help but feel connected to the small group of people who discovered half the world and flourished, despite the odds. Many of those cultures are long gone, but their spirits are still out there, and not just on one day a year. Just my two cents worth.

Comment

Working...
      X