Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catawba and Cherokee Indian Wars

https://www.bpr.org/post/exploring-s...rs-and-catawba

This is a interesting story that hits close to home for me being born in Catawba County NC. My family carries a healthy percentage of Iberian Peninsula in our DNA. No doubt we could have arrived from Europe with it but It’s really interesting that the DNA of the Cherokee’s came back the way it did. Could this early exploration by the Spanish been the start of the wars between the Catawba and the Cherokee? Could the Cherokee’s have mixed with the Spaniards? I know this is a touchy subject but history is messy so it’s worth respectful discussion.

Von
    Last edited by Von; 10-30-2019, 12:09 AM.

Hi Von just wanted to share some places and books to help you on your research of this subject. Every year the Berry site has an open to the public day. David Moore leads this and is great at answering questions. I take my kid here every year and always come away with a better understanding of Ft. San Juan and the relationship with the natives. Moore has a great book that links the pottery to the various groups/tribes of WNC and Central NC it is a must read. The book is titled Catawba Valley Mississippian it's my favorite local Archaeology book. Another great spot to check out is the Catawba Cultural Center just outside of Rock Hill SC. I visit there at least once a year they are some super friendly and knowledgeable staff that work the center and would be happy to discuss this subject plus they have a great library of Catawba history. The University of SC at Lancaster has a new center for southern Indian studies and is a great place to learn about who the Catawba were and their complicated history. Also UNC's RLA system has some great online papers on our local tribes timelines with the merging of the Iswa aka Catawba. This can be found by looking up UNC RLA southern Indian studies. Yea I love this research glad you do as well. Just a side note my Avatar Sugaree is one of those tribes who merged or become what we now know as the Catawba.
    N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

• Von
      Von commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for all the information. My wife and I travel around the state a lot and I now have family in the Charlotte area and a trip Rock Hill or Lancaster isn’t out of the question. I would love to go see the Berry Site and will have to check it out. Have you been to the Topper site?

Von

• Sugaree
      Sugaree commented
      Editing a comment
      I have not been to the Topper site but sure would like to one day.

• Cecilia
      Cecilia commented
      Editing a comment
      Topper right across Savannah River and Stallings Island 2 miles from me!

I have enjoyed reading about the local NA history in my area. I'm about 2 hours South of Asheville in SC. I read conflicting reports about which tribes were in this area. Some docs indicate it was Catawba and others say Cherokee. The Cherokee path is very close to my property and runs to Ninety Six, SC. Yes that is the real name of the town. From Ninety Six the trail turns North to Keowee, just north of Clemson. The last tribe known to habitat this area were Shawnee from the Iroquois. I've also read the Westos were in this area. Most of the artifacts I find are from the Archaic period but it would be nice to find something from the historic period and know to which tribe it belonged. I have also read about the Sugaree.

Regarding DNA, I gave my husband an Ancestry DNA kit for Christmas. His grandmother was full Cherokee. I always told him that he had some Spaniard in him because he has green eyes and dark skin. His DNA came back with the majority of his ancestry being Iberian Peninsula. Thought you would find that interesting.

If you ever get a chance to visit Ninety Six, there is a national fort there. The name is Star Fort. The old NA trading trail is still there. The Park Service has done a fantastic job restoring the old Revolutionary fort. There is an archeologist there and a small museum and a paved, maybe mile and a half paved trail around the area. You can also walk the old Indian trail. It's an o!d settlement, trading post for the NAs, and became a British Fort.
    Last edited by Josie; 10-30-2019, 08:15 PM.
    South Carolina

Comment

• Von
      Von commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the information. I’ve never heard of Ninety Six S.C. but it sounds like a nice rural place to live like many of the small towns in the Carolinas. Like I said I don’t know where my Iberian Peninsula heritage came from? I had curly sandy hair when I was young and blue eyes but DNA is what it is.

Von
      Last edited by Von; 10-30-2019, 09:31 PM.

• Cecilia
      Cecilia commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you, Josie!

I don’t know what happened but it seems like there may have been some deleted post?

Comment

This is wonderful post, am learning again. But where is beginning?
      Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

Working...
      X