• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fascinating
    South Dakota

Comment

Fractured rock, in-situ.

I still consider that this could be an ancient highway trail marker.
      I also consider that the flat land may have held water at some time past.
      I'll take close ups when I make it back out. Early monsoon season limits time for safe travel. (Note: 8' culvert in arroyo)

Comment

• CMD
        CMD commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice to see the panel in its greater context. I am not familiar with the geology there, but wondered if a tectonic event had split the outcrop....

• CJRocks101
        CJRocks101 commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes to: tectonic event(s). We're up on the Continental Divide. El Malpais (National Monument) lava fields are to the north of us, as is the Bandera Volcano and Ice cave. Legends abound about finding Spanish armor, native artifacts and losing hikers/visitors ... in those lava fields. The lava flowed right up to rising cliffs leaving just enough space to travel through (locals call it: The Narrows).

We revisited yesterday. The rock IS a map!! There is NO doubt in my mind.
      The swirls are water - the four swirls together = a sacred (off limits) water site ... Salt Lake. (a bit north and a bit west of Quemado, NM) - disappointed with myself for not seeing this earlier.

I used Google earth and drew the ridge lines with a paint/layer app. and then did the same with the lines on the rock. A bit of overlay and a bit of spinning ... BOOM! There it was!

The other single swirl is a dry lake bed (now) ... but shows as a 'lake' on old maps of the area. Note: swirl by large circle surrounded by small circles. (Kivas?) We drove out, but the road was sketchy, lots of sugar sand and roads washed out in several areas... we only made it about 2 miles in, and the sun was setting. Next time .....

This rock is not (just) random drawings. These people were showing you the way the best way they knew how .. and remarkably on target according to Google Earth!! Pretty damned amazing!!

Comment

Working...
      X