Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where’s Waldo - 2nd trip

Close ups and scale.

Very nice photos. Regarding footprints. Bear prints may denote it was left by a member of the Bear Clan. In Frank Waters “The Book of the Hopi”(1961), various Hopi informants revealed information for the first time to outsiders. Frank Waters was chosen for this task. Another important work was co-authored by Thomas Mails, and the Hopi elder Dan Evehema. It was titled “Hotevilla: Hopi Shrine of the Covenant. Microcosm of the World”.(1995).

My initial education came from reading Waters, in 1969. Without going into detail, it changed my life forever and caused me to rethink my understanding of the history of man on this planet permanently. That’s a story for another time.

Various clan members informed Waters’ book. Every clan, when they emerged in the present “forth world”, the earlier three having been destroyed in cateclysms, (By fire, by ice, by water(the universal flood myth)) was required to walk to the extremities of the 4 cardinal points in North America. The pattern of these required migrations was in the shape of a swastika, a sacred symbol found throughout the world. The center of that swastika pattern was to be their final destination, their final home, which is their present home on the three Hopi mesas in NE Arizona. So, human footprints are sometimes left by clans to illustrate that they are still fulfilling their required migration, and the prints show they are walking that migration. Hence you may find human footprints on petroglyph panels throughout the SW.

Sometimes, on the cliff walls near Ancestral Puebloan ruins, one will see partial swastikas, with an arm or more missing. This denotes that the clan or clans that lived there had not yet finished the planned migration their creator required of them.

Now, your rock is obviously not in present day Hopiland. But, all the Puebloan tribes we know of today, the Hopi, the people of Acoma Pueblo and Taos Pueblo, and the Rio Grande Pueblos, are all related anciently. All are descendent from the Ancestral Puebloan people, once called the Anasazi, and responsible for the many ancient pueblos and cliff dwellings that dot the SW. And, the migration myths, which every Hopi clan retains as oral memory, each clan remembers the ruins associated with their clan, may help explain why settlements were built, only to be abandoned, and settlements then created elsewhere.

Understand, most of what I’m describing applies to the Hopi, according to Waters’ Hopi informants. Myths will vary with other Puebloan groups, but what the Hopi describe is the history of the people we once called the Anasazi, and all the Pueblo peoples have roots in the Anasazi, or Ancestral Puebloan.

Another common migration symbol were various renditions of a spiral. These illustrations are from “The Book of the Hopi”.

This first one shows the swastika migration symbol on one of the 4 ancient and sacred tablets retained by the Hopi, as well as a second tablet belonging to the Bear clan:

Click image for larger version  Name:	57F4BCB5-AED6-4FB9-B343-E5D093495AC7.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	74.1 KB ID:	463794

Click image for larger version  Name:	39FB2F35-1D1F-4B53-A106-E3E441A7C805.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	74.5 KB ID:	463795
    Note the various clan names below. Images that resemble these names, when found as petroglyphs, may be signatures of those clans:

Click image for larger version  Name:	A98AFCDF-0C41-43A4-9E3C-75C9BD12A2F7.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	121.4 KB ID:	463796

Click image for larger version  Name:	F6F428B7-A4B7-45AB-9842-1E1069BFA21D.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	59.1 KB ID:	463797
    Attached Files
    Last edited by CMD; 06-22-2020, 10:56 AM.
    Rhode Island

Comment

• Cecilia
      Cecilia commented
      Editing a comment
      My, o my! Thank you!

Perhaps you could post the photos from your most recent petroglyph thread here, in this thread. It would have been nice to keep the photos all in one place.
    Rhode Island

Comment

• redrocks
      redrocks commented
      Editing a comment
      Good info Charlie!

• CMD
      CMD commented
      Editing a comment
      I’m not sure the book mentions what state Springerville is located in. I’ll check. A quick look with google maps indicates it is located in Az., which was my guess.

• CMD
      CMD commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, Red!

CMD , Nice basic share about Anasazi info.

Comment

• CMD
      CMD commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you...

Comment

Comment

Comment

Cool thread man
          SW Connecticut

Comment

Something that is common in all areas where we have discovered ancient dwellings and drawings: Squaw brush.
            When we come upon a huge stand of this plant, we begin to feel that we are 'close' to a find.
            On our way out to these rocks, we passed a place that was covered in it. More than we had ever seen in one place. Taller than we have seen in other areas.
            For most of the year, it appears with no leaves; just a clump of black twigs, almost like remnants of a forest fire.

In photos, the 'green' is 'squaw brush', or "squaw bush", as noted here:
            https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhus_trilobata - This article lists 'squaw bush', but it also notes a peak elevation of 7000 feet. I'm sure we were higher than 7000 feet.
            Any insight or observations?

Comment

Love it....

Click image for larger version

Name:	41AB2821-CB27-4928-93F8-839E2F97FCA8.jpeg
Views:	141
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	464880

Name:	69536B4E-A599-4739-B90B-355E9B77477D.jpeg
Views:	132
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	464881

Rhode Island

Comment

Charlie your always filling my brain with great stuff and I thank you for that ☺️

Comment

Just now got back here, thought you might like to see an interesting piece from Northwest Florida...

Name:	CCD6FF9A-AB65-45DD-BDE4-7E1DF9D566FE.jpeg
Views:	178
Size:	209.3 KB
ID:	467640
                  Floridaboy.

Comment

• CMD
                    CMD commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yep, great example! I have a Hohokam pot with the 4 directions symbol on the interior.

This is a Woodland piece.
                  Floridaboy.

Comment

Working...
                  X