Petroglyph Canyon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Petroglyph Canyon

Big and Little Petroglyph Canyons are two principal landforms within which are found major accumulations of Paleo-Indian and/or Native American Petroglyphs, or rock art, by the Coso People located in the Coso Range Mountains of the northern Mojave Desert, and now within the Naval Air Weapons Station China Lake, near the towns of China Lake and Ridgecrest, California.[3] Little Petroglyph Canyon contains 20,000 documented images, which surpasses in number for most other collections. Additionally, the archeological resources are remarkably undisturbed. These will keep you busy taking photos . I've never been myself there's waiting list to visit .

I clicked on one the sites you cited, and found reference to Valley of Fire in Nevada. I hired a local Petroglyphologist(?) yrs ago to take me there and show me incredible things. Not only were some so very, very high up on cliffs, some of them really big; most notable in my memory were giant stick-figure men with 5 stick appendages! Wish had taken pictures that I could find now....
    Last edited by Cecilia; 07-31-2020, 02:09 AM.
    Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

If I only would have known al those trips through that desert going to mammoth lakes . Hey I thought of you today and hoped you got some of that crazy rain .
      or does that make it worse with mud

Comment

Working...
      X