50+ year collection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50+ year collection

A month ago I gave up my collection. I have now put in motion to integrate it back into another 50+ year collection. Eventually I hope to build a museum with them a world slam of mountain sheep and a gallery of paintings from my grandfather. I had grappled of what would happen if I should pass and the possibilities of it being sold and parted out for the better artifacts...donating it to a university or another museum would mean it either would be sold or archived...but I just hope that it stays intact...I was asked if I gave up hunting for artifacts...my answer is no...I will look until I can't look any more...that is in my blood. I just hope that it now has a place to stay together for a while.
    Look to the ground for it holds the past!

hope whatever you do works out for the best
    Wyoming

Comment

Miland
      That must of been so difficult ! I may be in the same situation but I still have high hopes of a grandchild. My son is 35 and daughter in law 33. So it’s not game over yet ! Her family throws twins so hope springs eternal...
      Lubbock County Tx

Comment

Wow good on you!
        SW Connecticut

Comment

I have been to your dads place a handful of times. That is a sight to behold. Than when you add his story telling and explanations and just that wholesome salt of the earth mannerism.
          I’ve waited along time for him to be on the slopes here during ski season. Im going to make it happen now.
          N.E Colorado, Nebraska panhandle

Comment

I very much hope that your decision to give up your collection was driven by your natural good nature and not something a bit darker in your life.
            In either case my friend heres to nothing but good luck in your searches.
            Bruce
            In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

I used to take new finds to now deceased friend Doug’s big office, where had impromptu “show ‘n tells” in conference room with whomever of his big ole staff interested. One wonderful day, his normally very quiet, very reserved office manager spontaneously and passionately instructed me to organize, label, record, and plan eventual distribution of gazillion pieces. I think my constant, exuberant sharing was infectious, because each capable staff member chimed in to emphasize necessity of future preservation. I was touched, absolutely!

Chase, thank you for the foresight to do exactly what these non-collecting, everyday folk demanded: honor our artifacts by recognizing ultimate pubic importance!
              Last edited by Cecilia; 09-09-2020, 11:34 AM.
              Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

Agree with Bruce and hope it is all for the good. Keep us informed.
                Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

MY decision was based on a few factors none of which has a dark side... more based on preservation. It is a way to keep the collection intact, add to a collection of the same sites. And add a broader scope of knowledge for the assemblage of artifacts. It was in part a conversation I had with my dad, sisters and brother. The conclusion is that a museum needs to be built. This was a first a first step in that process. Some integration has started of the historical artifacts. I came to the conclusion that short of selling it, there was no way it would stay intact. I was nothing more than a finder and curator and as such responsible to preserve it. I gave it a home.
                  Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

• Cecilia
                    Cecilia commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I look forward to your museum’s opening night gala (I think it should be black-tie!)
                Working...
                X