Hands and stars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hands and stars

I was doing some research on N/A motifs and came across an article, setting forth the idea that the hand design was modeled after a constellation....I was taking several pics. and somehow lost all but these two, don’t have any other info except these pics. which shows a constellation, ( don’t know which one ) well you get the idea...And that all hand motifs came from this idea.....Ever hear anything about this theory?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	6A8BE22F-5E25-4258-95F5-CE07FC05B8E4.png
Views:	159
Size:	693.1 KB
ID:	486971 Click image for larger version

Name:	1D45264D-5D6C-40B3-B798-A30DEA602E88.png
Views:	112
Size:	817.2 KB
ID:	486972
    Floridaboy.

They watched the stars, I know that. It could even be a impressive meteor shower !
    Lubbock County Tx

Comment

• Hal Gorges
      Hal Gorges commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, I’m with you ,I don’t think they were just doing no nothing doodles,,.

I think a lot of their beliefs may be lost or very hard to interpret form the art left behind. I would guess using a hand was an easy way to leave your "mark"...both physically and symbolically. I would guess the hand symbol started on the ground first, then it was transferred to the stars after it was already ubiquitous on land.
    Central Ohio

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	QuigleyGorget.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	487040 Hand motif whelk shell 2 holed gorget. Not mine but I saw it found gawd. Tampa Bay. He sold it to a gorget-specialized collector a while ago.
      Professor Shellman
      Tampa Bay

Comment

• Hal Gorges
        Hal Gorges commented
        Editing a comment
        That’s a great piece, I remember it, I can’t remember my name but I have this uncanny ability to remember most artifacts, once seen, Lol, Ha.

Here’s one of my all time favorite hand motif pieces.

another of my favorites has a similar style but the hands alternate colors.
      it has four hands on alternating sides, one red with a white dot, then white with a red dot...etc.
      I’ll try to find a picture of it.
      Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

• Hal Gorges
        Hal Gorges commented
        Editing a comment
        That’s a beautiful example, I have a feeling the circle in the palm is a variation of the Southern death cult weeping eye motif,it certainly means something..what do you think?

• Jethro355
        Jethro355 commented
        Editing a comment
        My thoughts exactly. I think this one may be in the book, “sun circles and the Human Hand”

I think I got the name right.. I am severely sleep deprived and probably can’t spell my own name right now..
    Working...
    X