Local tribes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Local tribes

I was wondering if you guys might know the history of your finds? From what I've read the Creek Indians were the only tribe noted in my area. Cherokee came close later and could of came further south but the Creeks were mostly noted. Here is a little write up about them. I found it interesting to know one of the tribes I find artifacts from. NW Georgia Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_Screenshot_20201017-082729_Chrome.jpeg
Views:	368
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	497203
    NW Georgia,

To know the history of the ancestors is to me all important...I just got a new book in the mail today.
    San Luis Valley, southern Colorado

Comment

Nice read, I never found very many historic period artifacts, mine are all pre, and have no connection to the tribes that were here when the Spaniards came.
      Floridaboy.

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
        SurfaceHunter commented
        Editing a comment
        I find all periods

I only find Archaic period finds so no tribe names. I guess the closest I would have from an actual named group would be the Guilfords.
      South Carolina

Comment

Main culture in my area were Wappo. Pomo, Lake Miwok and Patwin are neighbors.

Unlike some other parts of the country, in California, cultures were very stable. There's not a lot of evidence of mass movement of people or conquest. Archeology seems to confirm this.
        Language studies suggest Wappo (Yukian stock) were perhaps direct ancestors of a base culture. Pomo (Hokan) also very old in the area. Patwin and Miwoks spoke Penutian based languages that are thought to have been introduced somewhat later.

Wappo is a corruption of the Spanish word Guapo (handsome or, in this case, brave) and was a name given by the first colonizers for their stubborn resistance. Of course they didn't call themselves that, as far as they were concerned they were simply 'the People'. They are known to have inhabited the North of Napa County, East of Sonoma County and South parts of Lake County. They controlled obsidian quarries in Napa and Lake Counties. Presumably this gave them some political power regionally.

The Wappo first suffered terrible losses to the Missions, then the Mexicans and finally the Americans. Their willingness to fight ensured their complete destruction. The handful left by the mid nineteenth century were marched to reservations in the north.

California

Comment

• Hal Gorges
          Hal Gorges commented
          Editing a comment
          Very interesting.

That was very detailed Tom. I find Creek culture artifacts even their pottery. But of course the older artifacts are a no name tribe.
        NW Georgia,

Comment

Read the louis and clark journals.
          there is a good show “adult documentary of the corps of discovery” Loren Green from tv show Bonanza narrates.
          In the book”The indian wars of 1864” Eugene ware tells writes about JimBridger as Ft Laramie and some of his descriptions are interesting, some folkloreish, “glass mountain story”.
          N.E Colorado, Nebraska panhandle

Comment

Waxhaw and Catawba natives used to be a couple of tribes in my area. I'm sure that there was probably more that we don't even know about. I've heard that some of the tribes merged when their numbers were down.
            South Carolina

Comment

Now I have to research who built the mounds I know we have quite a few of them around my area.
              NW Georgia,

Comment

Surface.- My area has had a very complicated Native past. Too long to go into. But we had Iroquois, Delaware's, Shawnee, Susquehannock and many small bands of of those tribes had names. It is very interesting that so many people came through here during the Eastern runaway. My area in particular was known as the great hunting ground. It is estimated that N/A people's traveled as much as 500 miles to hunt here. So we find many different cultures represented. That's about as short as I can make it. Good topic! Good read. Kim
              Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

https://www.popularmechanics.com/cul...ples-day-2018/

—————————————————————————————————————————————-

I will be adding this interactive map to our Info Center:

Native Land is a resource to learn more about Indigenous territories, languages, lands, and ways of life. We welcome you to our site.

Rhode Island

Comment

• CMD
                  CMD commented
                  Editing a comment
                  “You can stick it wherever you like.” I do not need your permission, sir.

• Fat
                  Fat commented
                  Editing a comment
                  OK.... take a big breath....
                  Its 48 and calm all the way up to the 60’s, that is “hear say“.
                  .quote me “Beautiful as it gets” Sir

After my “reply was deleted from” your “deleted reply”,?.. than I was confused “a common, know widely, I admit thing” and I’m still kind of lost to the back and forth,
                  Two words that should not be associated with the “Homo Sapian species” on the American continents North and South are

Indigenous

Native

If I have to put up with a “speculators map” Everyone has to put up with Webster’s.

• CMD
                  CMD commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I’m still not sure what ideas you’re conveying, Fat. One thing that is not speculative is the fact that all federally recognized tribes are acknowledged, by the federal government, as having limited sovereignty. This 2004 paper goes into some detail as to the myths and realities of the limited sovereignty enjoyed by Indian nations. The very reason they often refer to themselves as nations, derives from that sovereignty. I don’t understand what you mean when you say that the original peoples of the Americas should not be referred to as indigenous or native. I don’t get that....

“The last three decades have witnessed a remarkable resurgence of the American Indian nations in the United States. The foundation of this resurgence has been the exercise of self-government – sovereignty – by the more than 560 federally-recognized tribes in the U.S. In this study, we explore legal and economic dimensions of current perceptions of and debates over the nature and extent of tribal self-rule in the United States. Our objective is to clarify and illuminate by distinguishing between myth and reality. We address key threads of thought and assumption that pervade, accurately or inaccurately, discussions in the public policy arena. What emerges is a picture in which tribes do exercise substantial, albeit limited, sovereignty. This sovereignty is not a set of “special” rights. Rather, its roots lie in the fact that Indian nations pre-exist the United States and their sovereignty has been diminished, but not terminated. Tribal sovereignty is recognized and protected by the U.S. Constitution, legal precedent, and treaties, as well as applicable principles of human rights.”
                  Last edited by CMD; 10-20-2020, 02:18 PM.

The map is really cool CMD!, like Kim, my area has a complex past with many different NA people.
                Near the PA/Ohio state line

Comment

Originally posted by CMD View Post
                  https://www.popularmechanics.com/cul...ples-day-2018/

—————————————————————————————————————————————-

I will be adding this interactive map to our Info Center:

Native Land is a resource to learn more about Indigenous territories, languages, lands, and ways of life. We welcome you to our site.
                  This map is very cool. Seems detailed and accurate too, at least as far as my area is concerned. I love this kid of crowd-sourced database and often wish we had one for artifacts.
                  Last edited by tomf; 10-19-2020, 02:41 PM.
                  California

Comment

• south fork
                    south fork commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I agree great map and a work in progress .

Thanks for the map CMD. I do find some small errors but that is to be expected. This is a great reference. If anyone looks there other maps like this. Kim
                  Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

Many Native American tribes have long been recognized by the federal government, along with the legal existence of their reservation lands.

However, in the modern era, basically beginning in the 1970’s, many tribes, and this has been particularly the case with Eastern tribes, have sought federal recognition. Here in Rhode Island, the state illegally detribalized the Narragansett, and illegally dissolved their remaining reservation, in the 1880’s. What R.I. did at that time was in fact a violation of federal law.

Therefore, when the Narragansett sought federal recognition as a tribe, in the 1970’s, lawsuits and politics was involved. They sued for ownership of the entire town which had been their original 17th century reservation, in the post King Philip’s War era. They settled with RI after being granted a few thousand acres. Achieving federal recognition actually came easier than many Eastern detribalized bands, for many reasons that are not important to this discussion. They were one of the first detribalized people in the East to regain federal recognition.

However, the disclaimer posted with the Tribal Lands interactive map makes it clear, at least I think so, that the map is not a reflection of legal boundaries, be they disputed, or not disputed. It is simply where tribal bands were located when Europeans arrived in the Western Hemisphere.

And again, the Popular Mechanics article was intended to simply introduce readers to the interactive map, rather than posting a link to the map, and letting the reader figure it out from scratch. In hindsight, perhaps it would have been better to just post the interactive map, and only the map. This map will remain in our Information Center. It’s a valuable resource, especially to those of us keenly interested in the Contact Era.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CAB8B8C2-EC5A-49D4-AFC2-22E6CA9E124C.jpeg
Views:	230
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	497989

Rhode Island

Comment

Working...
                    X