No announcement yet.

Local tribes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In Tampa Bay we had the Tocobagan people that were here when spaniards first came here. Just south of Tampa Bay were the Calusa. Both were quickly reduced, diminished, destroyed, assimilated. Seminoles also were present in Tampa Bay up until Uncle Jackson et al took care of the Indian "problem". There is a small island at the mouth of Tampa Bay called Egmont Key which is where captured Seminoles were brought to be shipped out West. Horrible history here. .After Andrew Jackson signed the Indian Removal Act in 1830, Native Americans were not allowed to live east of the Mississippi River. Egmont Key was one of the places Seminoles were brought to before they were forced to head to Oklahoma. After detainment at Egmont Key, Seminoles were taken to St. Marks in Florida’s panhandle, then to New Orleans and up the Mississippi River to what became known as the Trail of Tears. During each stop, the vessel would refuel before heading out to its next destination.

In 1858, Billy Bowlegs and 163 other Seminoles were held at Egmont Key, one of them being Polly Parker.https://seminoletribune.org/tribe-re...at-egmont-key/

The first recorded contact between the Calusa and Europeans was in 1513, when Juan Ponce de León landed on the west coast of Florida in May, probably at the mouth of the Caloosahatchee River, after his earlier discovery of Florida in April. The Calusa knew of the Spanish before this landing, however, as they had taken in Native American refugees from the Spanish subjugation of Cuba. The Spanish careened one of their ships, and Calusas offered to trade with them. After ten days a man who spoke Spanish approached Ponce de León's ships with a request to wait for the arrival of the Calusa chief. Soon 20 war canoes attacked the Spanish, who drove off the Calusa, killing or capturing several of them. The next day 80 "shielded" canoes attacked the Spanish ships, but the battle was inconclusive. The Spanish departed and returned to Puerto Rico. In 1517 Francisco Hernández de Córdoba landed in southwest Florida on his return voyage from discovering the Yucatán. He was also attacked by the Calusa. In 1521 Ponce de León returned to southwest Florida to plant a colony, but the Calusa drove the Spanish out, mortally wounding Ponce de León.[19]

The Pánfilo de Narváez expedition of 1528 and the Hernando de Soto expedition of 1539 both landed in the vicinity of Tampa Bay, north of the Calusa domain. Dominican missionaries reached the Calusa domain in 1549 but withdrew because of the hostility of the tribe.

The Spanish found out that their crossbows were no match to the Indian longbows. The Indian bows, 6-7 feet long, were accurate to about 200 yards. Furthermore, the arrows, tipped with flint, penetrated the Spanish armor. Spanish horses proved worthless as war machines in the Florida swamps and brush.
    Last edited by tomclark; 11-05-2020, 09:00 AM.
    Professor Shellman
    Tampa Bay

Comment

And moving on. Thanks Tom and everyone for the information. By what I've read about the Creek Indians it sounds like they were a fierce tribe. Anyone else can still comment but let's not argue.
      NW Georgia,

Comment

Originally posted by tomclark View Post
        In Tampa Bay we had the Tocobagan people that were here when spaniards first came here. Just south of Tampa Bay were the Calusa. Both were quickly reduced, diminished, destroyed, assimilated. Seminoles also were present in Tampa Bay up until Uncle Jackson et al took care of the Indian "problem". There is a small island at the mouth of Tampa Bay called Egmont Key which is where captured Seminoles were brought to be shipped out West. Horrible history here. .After Andrew Jackson signed the Indian Removal Act in 1830, Native Americans were not allowed to live east of the Mississippi River. Egmont Key was one of the places Seminoles were brought to before they were forced to head to Oklahoma. After detainment at Egmont Key, Seminoles were taken to St. Marks in Florida’s panhandle, then to New Orleans and up the Mississippi River to what became known as the Trail of Tears. During each stop, the vessel would refuel before heading out to its next destination.

In 1858, Billy Bowlegs and 163 other Seminoles were held at Egmont Key, one of them being Polly Parker.https://seminoletribune.org/tribe-re...at-egmont-key/
        Really interesting to get a thumbnail on your local history. Familiarly tragic as it is.

Egmont Key sounds like a ghastly place and one could be forgiven for not feeling sad if it sank. But that would wipe away a part of our history that can't be forgotten or hidden.

I appreciated some of the detail in Polly Parker's story. Particularly how gathering medicinal herbs was cover for escape. Billy Bowlegs too. This kind of account lends a human perspective that's more often missing from records and is an important tool to help us remember what happened, who it happened to, and why.

Did you ever read this book?

https://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/14/b...14millard.html

It's cool because the author incorporates a bunch of archeology in telling this twist on the Conquistador/ Native dynamic. It's the history of Cabeza de Vaca's failed attempt to take Florida for the King of Spain. He landed in Tampa Bay (1528) and it didn't go well for him.

Last edited by tomf; 10-20-2020, 01:08 PM.
        California

Comment

Thanks for adding this Map CMD I find it interesting to compare with other local tribe maps in my area of NC. It’s interesting to which tribes were included and which were not included. I Do like they included the Sugaree which gets left out on some local maps I’ve seen and just called my area Catawba. It is also known that we still have arguments about tribal lines with federally recognized tribes.
          N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

• tomf
            tomf commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm pretty sure the boundaries on this map are based on historical research rather than tribal advocacy. In the case of California this must be so, given that many of the areas represent tribes that have no survivors or representation. Also map lines up with what history has shown.
            The maker of this map talks about the inherent difficulties in creating and maintaining a document like this. Also sheds light on the historicl problematic relationship between native peoples and mapping in general. But, in my opinion, this is an honest fact-based project of great value. Especially for those of us who want to know more about the people who made the things we find.

Yes Glenn the Creek Indians were in my area . I have read so many articles on them as well as books . Johnny gave me a great book on the swiftcreek tribes and the stamped pottery .
          This is interesting but I would have to go back and look for the articles . In our area most of the historical homes only date 1900 and above because the creeks burnt them out still in the late 1800’s .
          Of course all the Archaic pieces I have found do not have history from modern humans .
          The Archaic people did not have tribe names as all of you know . They are the history .
          I can’t wait to see what I find from them this year ...

Comment

And once again, forum made me think. Tho live extremely close Stallings Island Site in the Savannah River, and only about 30 mins from Topper Site in SC, both ancient, ancient, ancient, so connection between People there and then to later local tribes unknown.

Do know that in my immediate area by 1600s, the Yuchi/Westo here, then the Shawnee before century’s end; thereafter in 1700s, came the Yamasee, and then the Chickasaw. Have read somewhere Westo big slave-traders (think maybe like Creeks were), so Shawnee made war, killed them off, and kindred Yuchi fled. But honestly know very little about most of them, because whole life heard paternal G’Ma was full-bloodied Cherokee, so more interested in People not local but from further northwest. (She died when my dad, her 8th child, born; but remember family had kinda blunt saying ‘bout his sisters: “Them girls all look like shoulda be squattin’ in fronta teepee”!). And, will say my dad most handsome man ever been: very tall, lithe, stately, lightly-dark as if always had suntan, most extraordinarily delicate facial features, thick black wavy hair....

Gosh. I gotta lil’ misty there. Now wanna know even more about Cherokee People!
            Last edited by Cecilia; 11-06-2020, 02:04 AM.
            Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

Working...
            X