No announcement yet.

Atlatls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay I have thrown AtlAtl and it didn't need a weight to get velocity ore distance. Some believe the weight was ornamental. As with the boat stone. My question is just what the heck was the Banner stone used for. There doesn't seem to be an exacting answer to the question. Kim
    Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

I think of them as a dent puller type of tool like we have now days but for what no idea.
      NW Georgia,

Comment

Have you read any of the stuff in our Information Centre?

Atlatl Weights, Banner/Bird/Boat/stones - ArrowHeads.com
        I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

• sailorjoe
          sailorjoe commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi Roger. Seems like some of these folks don't bother reading the Info Center materials or the links posted by folks such as CMD much less do any reading that is easily available online.Perhaps it is more fun for some folks to engage in fanciful speculation than otherwise.

Originally posted by painshill View Post
        Have you read any of the stuff in our Information Centre?

Atlatl Weights, Banner/Bird/Boat/stones - ArrowHeads.com
        Thanks for the info Roger, I read it. Their still seams to be just a lot of speculation. With no definitive answers. I know some of what the Excavations have found. It just seams they are guessing. Or maybe I'm stupid. And as for you Saylor I hope you aren't referring to me. I'm reading all the time, but I just can't read everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Mattern View Post

Thanks for the info Roger, I read it. Their still seams to be just a lot of speculation. With no definitive answers. I know some of what the Excavations have found. It just seams they are guessing.

But sometimes "no definitive answer" is the only answer we currently have... although the various theories are a bit more than "guessing". There are various other artefact categories where the same applies, including some where the artefacts (as we group them) almost certainly had multi-purpose (as used by the people who made them).
          I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Originally posted by painshill View Post

But sometimes "no definitive answer" is the only answer we currently have... although the various theories are a bit more than "guessing". There are various other artefact categories where the same applies, including some where the artefacts (as we group them) almost certainly had multi-purpose (as used by the people who made them).
            Yah If our finds could only talk. And in some fashion they do tell us a lot. I'm sticking with the ceremonial versions for banners. Thanks Roger.

Comment

Working...
            X