Chief Eagle Eye’ and the Weiser’ River Shoshone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chief Eagle Eye’ and the Weiser’ River Shoshone

I learned about this bit of overlooked History a few years ago. I was astonished to say the least. Being of mixed Blood/Iroquois heritage myself a lover of First Nation history. I had never heard of this amazing story!!!-look it up!!! When the 1870’s Bannock/Shoshone wars started. Chief Eagle eye and a small band of about 35 Weiser’ River Idaho Shoshone escaped the war and forced Exile onto the Fort Hall Reservation. They lived peacefully between Payette Lake/McCall region and the Sweet/Ola Valley along the West Range-especially Timber Butte area. Eagle Eye died around 1900’ he’s buried high on the west slope. Only his descendants know his burial location. Descendants lived on to work in the small local lumber mills in the area eventually blending into the population. This original Snapshot from my Collection is a ‘Crow Indian Family’ it dates circa 1900.

Interesting history. My wife has a cousin who married a Native American with the last name Two Crow. I wonder if he's related to the Crow Indian family? Thanks for sharing.
    South Carolina

Comment

Likely not my friend . I apologize-The Crow snapshot has no relation to the Story/history at all—I just added the old Crow snapshot because it was an interesting Family group photo I thought would give a little visual to the Post. Eagle eyes’ weiser’ Idaho Shoshone were the extreme western Band of Shoshone. The Crow were in Montana. The Eastern Shoshone especially the Wind River Band from Wyoming had much contact with the Montana Crow-they were considered enemy and fought often. Very cool though about your Wife’s NA Relation/Connection! That would be a great history in itself to look into.
      Last edited by Sage hen jack; 11-26-2020, 11:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X