Native fork or eating utencil.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Native fork or eating utencil.

So this is up for discussion. I have thought that the Native needed something to eat with. They made spoons from different types of materials. I posted a St Albans yesterday that I called an Orent. I am corrected. Here is another, the base is damaged. I received a lot of great responses,, thanks. So back to topic. If I want to eat a piece on meat cooking on the fire, How will I do that. Utilizing a Sharp blade and a handled knife or point it would be obvious. Take a point like the one posted and simply attach a handle. The serrations should help hold the food very securely.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2730 (2).JPG
Views:	353
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	513844 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2729.JPG
Views:	299
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	513845 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2732.JPG
Views:	298
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	513846
    ​​​​​​​Stick the fork into the meat and slice off a piece of meat and eat! What does everyone think? Kim
    Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Hey Kim, I eat with a knife some times: It's the cowboy way. :-)
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Works for me.
      just don’t chip a tooth.
      no dentist in there neighborhood....✌️
      Southeastern Minnesota’s driftless area

Comment

The only problem I see is if you hold flint over a fire to long,

A. You'll burn the stick or sinew holding the point.

B. Flint will pop if held over a flame too long.

As for regular eating, perhaps maybe. I would think that the settlers might have made mention over a peculiar detail as that when they first arrived, but then again, history is so full of mysteries cause by folks who don't write anything down!
        "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

• Ron Kelley
          Ron Kelley commented
          Editing a comment
          Cook it on a stick and eat it with a knife.

• Hoss
          Hoss commented
          Editing a comment
          cook on a flat rock and eat with your hand . There are also many wood artifacts that have been lost to history in much of North America as the soils are so acidic would just does not hold up.

Killer dart

Comment

Come on now.
          California

Comment

Originally posted by Kentucky point View Post
            The only problem I see is if you hold flint over a fire to long,

A. You'll burn the stick or sinew holding the point.

B. Flint will pop if held over a flame too long.

As for regular eating, perhaps maybe. I would think that the settlers might have made mention over a peculiar detail as that when they first arrived, but then again, history is so full of mysteries cause by folks who don't write anything down!
            Well Kt. I would think that they would figured out how to do this without burning fingers and tools. It's just my hypothesis. I some times think outside the box, trying to figure out what all these tools might have been used for. Thanks for your incite. Kim

Comment

I've seen a bunch of spoons; wooden, shell and bone, but never a fork. Though if something needed spearing your point would do the job.
              California

Comment

Definitely a steak knife!
                North Carolina

Comment

I suspect a lot of fingers were involved as opposed to special utensils.
                  Child of the tides

Comment

We really don't have to make our tools. You see when we need a tool we just go to the tool box or the kitchen drawer and pull out what we need, and don't think anything about it. They needed a tool they had to make them. So they had to think about it and of course experiment with it until it worked. I like to think about the tools and figure different ways to use them. We have no idea how Paleo or Archaic people used these things. We just assume their uses. My proposal is not out of line. It's what makes collecting more personal, if we can think outside the Books. Kim

Comment

Good thought Kim...I would think if that was a widespread method, we would find more points ( broken or not ) with evidence of fire or heat damage, one way to find out, lemme know which way the mop flops,,Lol...P.S.I’m not sure what the preferred method was, I’ll be thinkin about that one for a couple of days.
                      Floridaboy.

Comment

I agree Hal you would think that these things would turn up in firepits often. Maybe I just think and analyze too much. But it will always be my nature. Thought provoking! I'm just a wild and crazy guy.

Comment

Just think if forks were needed there would be a class of fork type artifacts. Knives (which almost any point might be) were certainly eating utensils and could be used as a cutter or a prong. So forks, as we know them, were not conceptualized, it seems.

We see barbs and serrations that work to hold in their target. Fish hooks too.

Turns out you are right on this, Kim.
                          California

Comment

Ever cook a hot dog on a green sapling twig? Just throwing this out there as well
                            Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• south fork
                              south fork commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Or smoke meat or fish .
                          Working...
                          X