Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frederick County finds

Has anyone out there
    ever hunted in Frederick County Maryland.
    I would love to see what anyone has found there please sand me pictures if so I want to compare to things I have found. Thanks. Chief

Hello Chief, I am an archaeologist who is very knowledgeable with Frederick County Maryland. I, like Kim, have over 30 years of professional experience in the northeast. About 80% if not more of your prehistoric artifacts will be made from rhyolite. When you look toward the west across route 15 those mountains are where the rhyolite quarry's are located. Rhyolite comes in a variety of colors. Your second most common lithic (stone) in Frederick will be quartz, also quarried locally. You will also find a little quartzite, chert, and jasper to name a few. Kim et. al. were correct about your finds, what I see is mostly limestone. Without knowing your exact location I would guess you are located near a couple of limekilns? They are very common in the county. The large prehistoric village site that you speak of was recorded by Mr. Spencer Geasey and the Maryland Archaeological Society had their yearly field schools there many times. The artifacts found at the site will be displayed at Hood College after processing per the request of the landowner. If you would like to view some awesome prehistoric artifacts from Frederick County Maryland as well as other Maryland Counties do a search on your computer for Jefferson Patterson Museum Typology. A friend of mine and fellow archaeologist put that together and it is a great reference not only for Maryland but the surrounding states. If there is one thing that I have learned about working in Frederick County it's that the artifacts are everywhere. Please ask permission before you hunt and like another member told you, once you find your first artifact the rest will jump out of the ground. As a professional I would not be doing my job if I did not ask you to please keep all of your artifacts from each site together. Artifacts are puzzle pieces and to an archaeologist one piece can and does make a big difference to future research. Many sites are already recorded especially if you are near the river as you stated. You are correct about FR. 18=the state=Maryland and FR=county=Frederick. Good luck!!

Comment

36AD18FR Thanks for sharing this information with Apache Chief. Folks new to collecting need a helping hand and that is what we try to do here. It sometimes does not work out as the person finding geofacts truly believes they have artifacts,

Apache Chief we hope you take this advise. It is solid gold. I wish you all the luck in the hunt as well. Your friend in flint, Hoss
      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Good advice from 36AD18FR, and the typology webpage he mentioned is included in the Northeast section of our Information Center. For each of the types shown, I included a link to that type on the Maryland typology page....

Rhode Island

Comment

Ditto
          South Dakota

Comment

Found after the remnants of hurricane Ida moved through. Annandale road, Frederick County, MD. Just down the road from the college.

Comment

Looks like a nice Palmer or Kirk, congratulations.

Ida must have dropped a lot more rain out you way than down here on the coastal plain.
              Coastal Plain of Maryland

Comment

Thanks Apache Chief. I really enjoy listening to shared knowledge. It's always appreciated.
                FGH Check out my artifact store at Lone Star Artifact Reclaim

Comment

I don’t want to sound heartless , but I do always wait to see what everyone is going to find after a hurricane rolls through . Or those tropical depressions that drop the record amounts of rain .

Comment

i found this walking the potomac river in frederick i dont know for sure if its anything but i thought there was a good chance it could be

Comment

Working...
                    X