A few Glacial Kame Relics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few Glacial Kame Relics

The title "Glacial Kame Culture" is spurious and refers to a culture which buried their dead in glacial deposits (kames). The "culture" ranged from southern Michigan to eastern Indiana across western and northern Ohio into northwest PA and western New York. There are few carbon dates available but most point to a late archaic manifestation although some dates are contemporary with Red Ochre and early Adena. Pictured below are artifacts from said culture. Pic one contains 3 Meadowood points from Mercer County PA (Onondaga), Butler County Ohio (Coshocton Black), and Franklin County Ohio (Flint Ridge) with the largest being 4". Pics 2 and 3 are the obverse and reverse of a coffin gorget from Ohio. Pic 4 is a frame of Meadowood points in my collection. All are personal finds. Other relics attributed to the culture include Birdstones, Sandal Sole Gorgets (many with 3 holes), artifacts made from shell, and bird points.
    Attached Files
    Near the PA/Ohio state line

Interesting information, nice artifacts.
    South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

• paohrocks
      paohrocks commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Johnny

Interesting Chris. You got some nice meadowood points there! And the gorget? Unreal... nice relics man!
    SW Connecticut

Comment

• paohrocks
      paohrocks commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you red, I find the culture very interesting.

Very nice artifacts. Also for me, it's nice to have someone in my general area with an expanded knowledge. Look forward to future post.
    Central Ohio

Comment

• paohrocks
      paohrocks commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks flintguy. Converse wrote a book called "The Glacial Kame Indians", it's a simple read loaded with info.

• flintguy
      flintguy commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, I'll look into that one.

Good post Chris, learnin something new every day, good lookin points every one...I guess everyone up your way wants to find Flint ridge, it’s beautiful, thx. for sharing.
    Floridaboy.

Comment

• paohrocks
      paohrocks commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you Hal and likewise, learning ton's about Florida relics and cultures.

Thanks Chris. I find the Glacial Kame culture fascinating probably because it is an early culture and they range as far west as here. I have a couple of local found meadowoods.
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• paohrocks
      paohrocks commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Greg, would like to see your Meadowoods.

• Hal Gorges
      Hal Gorges commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, see, see. (uh,o, I’m starting to talk like Cecilia ), Lol.
      Last edited by Hal Gorges; 01-28-2021, 09:57 AM.

Very cool, thanks
    Missouri

Comment

• paohrocks
      paohrocks commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks outlaw,

Some nice pieces Paoh..
    really like the gorget..thanks for the show...✌️
    Southeastern Minnesota’s driftless area

Comment

• paohrocks
      paohrocks commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Up-north

Excellent post Chris and as always excellent artifacts.
    🐜 🎤 SW Georgia

Comment

• paohrocks
      paohrocks commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you Mike

Hey Chris. ...upon taking a closer look at this amazing group of meadowoods ..the one that stands out to me is the smaller pinkish one. Top row. angled like a knife. Is it quartzite by any chance?
    SW Connecticut

Comment

• paohrocks
      paohrocks commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks red, that's a piece of Delaware chert. I don't find much quartz/quartzite in my area, guessing I may have less than half a dozen.
      Last edited by paohrocks; 01-29-2021, 10:48 AM.

Very good information Paoh. You mentioned Red Ocher people. Are they the ones I've studied also known as the Red Paint people from Canada?
    Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

• paohrocks
      paohrocks commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Kim, I don't know much about the Red Ochre Culture or if they are connected to the Red Paint people of Canada. What I do know is the Type Site is the Morton Site located in Fulton County Illinois and their time frame is contemporary with the Glacial Kame (late Archaic). Based on that info you could surmise a connection between the two. I also know they produced Turkey tail points and made copper ornaments and used red ochre to decorate or cover corpses. In my 47 years of hunting I have only found 1 Turkey tail. Red Ochre is made by grinding down hematite and we do find faceted pieces of hematite on many sites but I think most cultures made use it.

[QUOTE=paohrocks;n528429]The title "Glacial Kame Culture" I think you may be right about the connection. The "Red Paint People" also used Ocher to cover their dead, as well as cached Artifacts. Attached is a piece of ocher material I found that was scraped to remove the dust for paint. As you can see it has been scraped on all sides. I also think this is a very rare find. I assume it is Hematite. Kim Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2847[1].JPG
Views:	497
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	530933

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2848[1].JPG
Views:	522
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	530934

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2849[1].JPG
Views:	545
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	530935

Comment

• paohrocks
      paohrocks commented
      Editing a comment
      Solid example of faceted Hematite Kim, appreciate the share.

Thought you'd like it, any time Paoh!

Comment

Working...
    X