• Show
Clear All

• Horseshoe mound, Portsmouth Ohio

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0060.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	466.5 KB
ID:	544556

Today I visited Horseshoe Mound in Portsmouth Ohio, one of the last remaining mounds in the Portsmouth Earthworks system. Due to good ol' progress, the rest of the mounds were bulldozed. BULLDOZED of all things! However I can at least be thankful that this one is still up.

I came by in the afternoon, which was a mistake. A morning or evening shot would show the shape much better. However, while I was there, I was impressed by the sheer size of the mound. It must have taken forever to build it. Next on my list is either the Chilicothe mounds, or Serpent mound.

Name:	DSC_0072.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	500.4 KB
ID:	544557

The oak is almost 170 years old.

Name:	DSC_0065.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	297.2 KB
ID:	544555
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Looks like someone dug out the center... That’s a big un all right.nice pics.
    Floridaboy.

Comment

Serpent mound would be cool to see....id like to visit cahokia....only mounds ive been too is etowah in georgia.....let me know if u make it to serpent mound...thanks for sharing kp
      Benny / Western Highland Rim / Tennessee

Comment

• Kentucky point
        Kentucky point commented
        Editing a comment
        I just need a licence. I've been in a battle with the DMV over scheduling and poor service.

• Benji
        Benji commented
        Editing a comment
        Awww......who needs a license kp....you can resort back to the ancient ways and traverse via foot to the destination....and if ya get tired, there always the universal sign language of 👍.....although thats a risk these days....hope yoy can get that all worked out man

• Hal Gorges
        Hal Gorges commented
        Editing a comment
        I went to Etowah, in 67, I was impressed at how large and how close to the river, I was thinkin how much stuff is at the bottom, Lol., I wouldn’t wanna dive that place.,,I would love to see the serpent.

Cool site. I’ve done Serpent Mound and the Mound City group which includes Seip Mound and earthworks. All will blow your mind. The Mound City group visitor center is unfortunately closed. The visitor center is normally staffed by NPS rangers who are very knowledgeable and the museum is a must see. They offer free maps to other earthworks and sites you can visit in the area. Don’t pass up a visit.
      Uncle Trav- Southwest Michigan

Comment

Here’s how the earthworks appeared in 1847 when visited and surveyed by Squire & Davis.
        Uncle Trav- Southwest Michigan

Comment

Working...
        X