First point type after Younger Dryas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First point type after Younger Dryas?

What was the first known point type (and date) after Younger Dryas?
    Central KY (Frankfort)

I don't think you're going to find anything that exact. According to Wiki, it covered most of the Paleo period and ended in the late paleo. The transition to the Archaic period isn't that well defined either, and was probably initiated by many factors including the climate change.

Comment

Like Stan , that q might not ever be answered !
      Lubbock County Tx

Comment

Interesting question, but I haven’t a clue.
        South Dakota

Comment

Our member Jason Lovett found the first true Clovis point in New England, predating the onset of the Younger Dryas. Of course, fluted points continued in use post-Younger Dryas. I posted a sequence of Paleo points a number of years ago, for the New England area. The oldest post-Clovis style in New England is the Gainey Point(King’s Road-Whipple). The technology is different from Clovis, but I’m not up on those differences, and really cannot distinguish several of the post Younger Dryas fluted points from Clovis points. In any event, here is that older thread, now in our Info Center.

https://forums.arrowheads.com/forum/...st-new-england

The post-Clovis sequence in the Northeast/New England:

Click image for larger version  Name:	CC44ABCF-0644-4C4B-A19D-339C68015FFC.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	55.1 KB ID:	563097

Last edited by CMD; 06-14-2021, 08:38 AM.
          Rhode Island

Comment

• Mattern
            Mattern commented
            Editing a comment
            Good post CMD

Thanks! I was just curious as there's a theory that something 'killed off' megafauna and Clovis culture 12,800ish years ago so I was interested if there was a small time gap in lithic technologies in general. But appears there wasn't.
          Central KY (Frankfort)

Comment

The Younger-Dryas startup took place over a few hundred years. The newest theory on why it happened is an asteroid or other space originated body smacked the mile thick ice shelf in eastern Canada thereby causing massive destruction to the Americas in the form of fire, ice melt and severe temperature changes within a few months. This in turn triggered other catastrophic changes that eventually wiped out large swaths of the newly settled Clovis Culture and the Mega Fauna they subsisted on. Read about the Younger Dryas re. Graham Hancock. Fascinating theory !!
            FGH Check out my artifact store at Lone Star Artifact Reclaim

Comment

The Pleistocene was cold, then it started to warm up and get nice, and then the Younger Dryas happened and it got cold again really quickly. It happened fast enough that people could out walk it, but trees, habitat, and things like that couldn't shift and big changes happened within likely recent memory for paleo people. (Hey, remember how last year we berries and this year the snow is still here? )

It's not accurate, but I like to think of Daltons in the Midwest and Southeast as the first successful post Younger Dryas group. They probably had nice lives, they figured out resources, they spread their technology around, had burial sites they came back to, etc. They lived their best transitional paleo/early archaic life right there in the Holocene.
              Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

Working...
              X